Can't Blame a Girl For Trying

Lucas's POV

I went to Maya's apartment after school to return her book. But I went to her window, because the front door was no fun. I saw and heard the unexpected...

Maya's POV

I was a Debby Downer the rest day after my pity attack. I went to my closet and took out my guitar that nobody, but my mom knew I owned. I sat on my bed and started singing Can't Blame a Girl For Trying. I wrote this song when I didn't know Lucas liked Riley or Riley liked Lucas. I went through the nickname game with him, I teased him, and couldn't control what I said to him. I was young and dumb, and then I found out he liked her and not me. 

So I wrote a song about it.

{Click play on video here to listen to song }

Lucas's POV

I stood there outside of Maya's window, listening and watching her sing. I didn't know she liked to sing or could sing really well. And the song! Did she write that? It was pretty good.

I decided to let her finish before knocking on her window. She turned to look at me with wide eyes. She ran to her closet, put away her guitar, and came over to the window.

"Maya... you can... and you... the song...WHAT?!" I got all flustered.

"Yes I can sing and yes I wrote the song," she laughed.

"How come I didn't know this?"

"Nobody knew that, Huckleberry. Not even Riley, I didn't want people to know. Please keep your mouth shut," Maya snapped, "What are you doing here anyway?"

"You left this on your desk when you rushed out of the classroom today," I said handing her the book.

Her expression changed to worried, "Did you read it?"

"No, no, because I knew you would kill me if I did."

She let out a sigh of relief.

"What's in it?"

"You can't tell anybody, but it's full of songs..." she began.

"What?! You song write?"

"Yeah, but it's personal," she smiled.

I couldn't help but think about how cute she was. Am I wrong for thinking that?

"Can you at least tell me what the song you were just singing was about?' I whined.

Maya froze, "Look sun dance, I just made it up, and wrote it in my song book. Thanks for returning it, now scram."

"Oh, Maya Penelope Hart, only if you tell what the song was about. Was it about a boy?"

"FINE!" she backed me up so I would go out the window, "It's about you!"

That was all she said, then she shut her window, locked it, and closed her curtains. How was it about me?