5 The unveiling of the mayor's love child

The Bachelor’s Party

© iamDestinatas 2013

CHAPTER 5 The unveiling of the mayor’s love child

Fran was shooting daggers to the man, no, the boy in front of her, who was holding the greasiest and biggest hamburger she had ever seen, like it was the most important thing in his life. Her glares were unnoticed, making her even more furious while shoving down her fries unladylike.

“You are fucking unbelievable.” He simply took a bite of his burger and smiled happily.

Two hours before Fran was getting ireful stares and unwanted uncomfortable attention from the people in the cafeteria because of the whiny, most spoiled, brat in the city that she was dragging by the shirt.

“Ugh, the food here sucks, lady doctor. These food will make people even sicker.” He wailed in front of the cafeteria lady. Fran let out a snort that tried to laugh away his foul retort but it did not impress the lady.

It only took five minutes being with the man, no, the boy, for Fran to let him do what he wanted. He bought two burgers and fries from his favourite chain to go and brought it to the hospital because bringing the food that most doctors disapprove of was the greatest idea of all time.

“Where’s the paper I told you to buy?” Fran asked for the nth time. Similarly, for the nth time she was ignored.

“Would you stop stuffing your face with that overly unhealthy burger for just a second?” Fran complained. “I swear that’s the cause of half the obesity in America.”

“You know for a doctor, your patience is surprisingly low.” He teased.

“I’m a surgical intern,” She glared at him. “There’s a reason why I’m not in paediatrics. And there’s also a huge difference between a child-child, and a very whiny, childish, probably has mental and emotional disorders, 30-year-old lawyer.”

“I did not understand anything from that and,” Mason placed a hand on his chest before speaking again. “30 years old? How dare you!” Fran rolled her eyes as Mason took something from below.

“That’s not a newspaper.” He was holding out a glossy magazine.

“What gave you that idea?” Mason’s sarcasm didn’t lose to Fran and waved the magazine frantically at her. She arched her eyebrow, waiting for Mason to explain.

“These people sure are fast,” He was scanning the front page. “Well, maybe that’s because it’s not that hard to get a background check on you.” He said more to himself.

“What’s that supposed –. Background what? Wait, what – what?” He flipped the cover to face Fran. Her eyes widened to the photograph of a man and a woman with their firstborn child. It was a candid shot; no one was even looking at the camera. The woman was holding the child on her arms as the man draped his hands lovingly on the woman’s shoulders, overlooking the sleeping child.

She immediately tried to yank the magazine off his hand but he pulled away. “Give it to me!”

“Uh-uh,” He shook his head. “I’m not that kind of guy.”

Francesca Saunders: What you need to know about the mayor’s love child,” Mason read the cover title and turned the pages.

The 26-year-old doctor is the talk of everyone in the city.

“Ooh, you’re 26–”

“Oh dear God, Mason,” She flailed her hands in the air, exasperated. “I don’t need your commentaries.” He scowled at her before he continued to read.