Chapter 6: The Cure of Love

"What else can I do? I have been running in the park looking for an hour, but no one knew where he has been..." sighed Ophelia, looking at the half-finished Boba Milk tea. She had been staying and searching the whole park thoroughly since she believed Jones would go to the park to meet the eccentric old lady who cursed him early while ago. However, there weren't any traces of him after inquiring the citizens throughout her search.

After that, she decided to take a short rest right after her long search, purchasing a cup of Boba Milk tea from a nearby drinks cart. Sipping the milky flavored tea, she recalled solving the murder of the recognized reporter with Jones back in few months ago, without his assistance, she won't be able to bring the notorious killer to justice. She also thought of the times when Jones always smiled and stared at her with his charming puppy dog eyes stare, which made her blush madly every time, and other beautiful memories of her and Jones spending their time after a closed case, in which all these made her developed a crush on this adorable, comical Inspector.

But now, she was not able to admit her love to him, only did she found him first.

"Alright, break time's over!" she murmured, stood up from the bench, she dumped the empty drink into a rubbish bin, and she continued to continue her mission of finding her lover back.

Soon, Ophelia kept aimlessly wandering in the Cooper Park without any progress in her mission until she arrived before the Center garden of the park. This was the place where Jones once had lunch with her until they were interrupted by a deadly explosion, which turned out to be a grisly murder. Later, even though the killer had already taken a dive before they could make an arrest, they were greatly praised by the Chief for gallantly solving another murder and eliminating a potential threat in the city.

"Maybe I can find Jones if I can find the old lady whom Jones mentioned to me earlier." That's when an idea popped into Ophelia's mind, as she got a new lead in searching her partner. Immediately, she skipped with enthusiasm on the path leading into the garden.

The Center Garden was an ideal place for some artists, fortune-tellers to set up their stalls and to do business with some superstitious people and art lovers. When Ophelia arrived, only one stall was here, which made Ophelia a little bit disappointed when she arrived here.

"Maybe I shouldn't be happy too soon..."mumbled Ophelia, upon reaching the place.

Just then, a hoarse voice rang behind Ophelia's ear, "How do you do, young lady?" it asked, which made Ophelia almost jumped.

"Oh my god!" She replied, turning back to look at the stranger that snuck up on her while she was in deep thoughts.

Behind her, was actually a grey-eyed elderly in her late seventies. Her gray hair was tied in a neat bun at the back. She wore a frilly blouse and a pair of tan pants. "Are you alright?" she asked.

"You are not s-supposed to sneak on people like that!" she stammered after receiving the unexpected surprise from the old lady. "Anyway, may I ask who you are?'' questioned Ophelia, calming herself down.

"Oh!" shouted the old lady with excitement when Ophelia turned her face, "Are you the young detective who is an ace in solving murders and protecting our lives while working with Inspector David Jones? My name is Rosie Yang, I got a fortune-telling stall in here, and would you care to pay a visit there?" she introduced herself passionately, holding her slim arms for a handshake.

"Oh, thanks, nice to meet you too." Replied Ophelia sweetly, blushing while shaking hands with the elderly. "But I got something to do now..."

"What is it? Do you mind telling me?" asked the old lady.

"Actually...I was looking for my partner; he mysteriously vanished without a trace this afternoon. I have been searching him for hours but I can't locate him. I... really fear that he would be gone forever!" whimpered Ophelia, who was really in desperate.

"Please don't cry, girl," comforted the sympathetic elderly. "Every cloud has a silver lining. Perhaps I can help to predict his fate so that you will know what to do next. Come with me!''

"Alright..." responded Ophelia, even she was dubious about the power of fourtune-telling, she still gave it a shot.

Rosie led the young detective to a small stall with a crystal ball placed a table, covered with a cotton crimson tablecloth, she proceed to sit on a wooden chair behind the table and the crystal ball. "So, do you have any items of your missing partner?" she inquired, with a small smile on her wrinkly face.

"His items, you mean?" answered Ophelia, "I've got some of his clothes in my bag."

"Good! Could you show them to me" requested Rosie.

"Okay..." agreed Ophelia, she opened her bag and took out a tie and a neatly folded light blue shirt of her partner. "These are my partner's clothes."

"Thank you, then I can tell you what happened to him with the power of the spirits hidden inside this crystal ball." replied Rosie as she accepted the clothes and placed it near the crystal ball.

"Oh, mighty spirits. Come! Spirits of fate! Come! Spirits of power! Come! Spirits of sight! Please tell us what happened to her partner's fate!" chanted Rosie as she placed her hands near the crystal ball and started rubbing it continuously. "Use all your light powers to show us what you can!" she declared. Suddenly, it radiated a shiny, lilac light after rubbing repeatedly. Ophelia was totally aghast, gaping at the magical crystal ball.

"Ah ha! Here they are..." said Rosie huskily towards the crystal ball. "The spirits are going to talk to us...''

"What do they say?" asked Ophelia curiously.

"Ah, the spirits had returned to me..." said Rosie with a relief. " I see, your partner, Inspector Jones, his soul was trapped in an animal's body! Wandering in the Town Square aimlessly, he could be trouble in any second!" said Rosie with a dramatic tone.

"What! You...mean he was actually turned into an animal? He told that he was cursed by an old lady earlier in the park, and that's... the outcome?" exclaimed Ophelia; she couldn't believe that it was a genuine, powerful magic curse!

"Exactly!" shouted Rosie, "Oh... I can't believe you did this again..." she muttered with anger.

"Uh...excuse me, what are you talking about?" Ophelia was totally confused by Rosie's sudden actions.

"Oh! What I mean is the curse is the cause of this! And I actually know who's behind all these things. "The elder woman explained, clearing her throat, "I'm sorry I don't know what animal has your partner turned into. But first, you must find him before drastic things would happen."

"Okay..." Ophelia nodded, with a bit disappointment since her helper doesn't have any idea on what animal exactly Jones was turned into.

"And..." Rosie added, "...only love can reverse the curse on your partner. Now, go to the Town Square before it's too late and don't forget bring something he loves very much too! I'll keep my fingers-crossed for you, Ophelia. " she smiled towards the girl with warmth while giving Jones's clothes back to her.

"Thanks a lot! See you!" replied Ophelia, putting back the clothes Rosie handed back to her into her white silk bag. After everything was done, she immediately bid Rosie farewell before running towards the exit of the Central Garden, ready to race towards the Town Square to find her beloved partner.

A/N: Oh my goodness, I didn't expect that it turned out to be such a long chapter~~ and I've tried really hard to finish this... :P

BTW, case references, anyone?

Next chapter will be here soon~~

Ciao! ;)