Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The week past very smoothly, I’m on the mood, everything seems to be in order.

My boss Mr. Mc Kenzie (the owner) called me this early Monday morning. Mr. Mc Kenzie is a nice man, he treats us his workers as a family and he helps us whenever we need him financially, through loans of course, with no interest.

I wonder what he wants this early, usually he calls us when he has something for us to do when we are about to go home. That’s one disadvantage of him, he really likes to give us work when it’s close to 5pm when you’re excited to go home to relax then 5mins before 5pm he’ll call you and tell you to work out something and sometimes run errands for him.

I’m on the door lightly knocking three times “Come on in Alex.” Mr. Mc Kenzie said. I switch the knob pushing the door to open. Mr. Mc Kenzie smiling at me, I smiled back, and then I said my good morning.

“Take a seat.” He started. “The reason why I am calling you is that, I will ask you a favor. My nephew is here for a couple of weeks to observe and to be trained in our company, well actually not just to observe but to refrain him from wandering around and I can’t well attain him for the moment because I have to make this current deal close and it needs me to go on for a trip for one week, so I want you to be in charge on making him do what he needs to do. My original plan is to take him with me but I guess it is best to let him stay here first. Because this well makes him slightly oriented for his responsibility in years to come and I don’t need to go through from the very beginning when we are going to start.” Mr. Mc Kenzie explains.

“You don’t have to worry Sir, I will make him feel at home and family the same way you treat us.” With a smile in my face I heartily accepted Mr. Mc Kenzie’s request. Of course how can I say no to someone whom I owe much and besides I don’t want to dismay him? “So when would I met him?” I added.

 “I want you to pick him up at 1 pm up at The Country Club to start with; he is on a golf course right now. His name is Michael dela Rama or Mike, just ask the Clubhouse cashier Melanie, she will tell you where he is. “, Mr. Mc Kenzie’s, last instructions.

After our meeting I head back to my table and continue my work.

During lunch Mandy ask while putting her plate on the table and seat opposite to me, “Hey Lex, I’ve heard Mr.Mc Kenzie called you early this morning. What is it? Is it something serious?” I look at her in the eye seriously, hold her right hand and said, “Yes, ~ actually he wants to fire you but he couldn’t personally tell you. So instead he called me to tell you.”

She pulled my hair and said, “You have a lame joke and don’t even try it because you are really bad at it.” We both laugh and I said to her, “Hey, you don’t have to pull my long black curly hair you know? You already criticize my trying hard way of humor and I guess that’s already too much. And why do you have to ask if it is serious? I hadn’t done anything to compromise my record as of today.” I smiled at her.

“I have asked you know, because it’s very unlikely of him to call someone first hour in the morning. It must be of grave importance. So what is it then?” Mandy asks.

“It’s about his nephew; he wants me to pick him up at the golf course after lunch and bring him up to observe our company for a week or more. In short assist him.” I explained to Mandy.

“Assist?  Or is it to be a nanny?” Mandy speaks, while looking intently in to my eyes.

“Oh come on Mandy. From the look of it he is not a kid. He will be managing his own company soon so how can I be a nanny? And I work hard to complete my college education so that I couldn’t work as a nanny you know.” I eyed Mandy after saying that.

I hurried back to the office after having a crazy lunch with my best friend. I prepared to pick up Mr. Mc Kenzie’s nephew and inform Molong the driver to get the car ready.

On my way to the parking lot I’m heading to Molong where he stands beside him is the old model of Maruti Suzuki 800 painted dark red with white on top, it’s a small car, its Mr. Mc Kenzie’s, he got it from India from the very first production last 1984, and it has a sentimental value so he could not afford to sell it or junk it. It is still run in good condition according to Molong because Mr. Mc Kenzie put someone to well maintain it.

Molong smiles when I reached him and says “Good afternoon Miss Alexa.” I smiled back and say, “Let’s go.”  Then I get myself in to the 29 year old car, I can’t believe we have the same age.

We’ve entered the said golf course and came into view the green clean lawn with few people busy of what they are currently doing, carrying a golf bag that has golf clubs in it Golf cart roaming around and women with umbrellas with them.

After Molong Park the car I directly went to the clubhouse where the guard directed me when I ask him earlier for directions. I landed on the glass walled clubhouse with 5 to 8 people inside enjoying their conversation. I entered, walking my way to the cashier as what Mr. Mc Kenzie instructed. A lady with a cap and a nice uniform on smiles beautifully at me and said her greetings. I smiles back and ask,” Melanie is it?” she said “Yes, How may I serve you?” enthusiastically.

I then ask her again. “I am looking for Michael dela Rama do you know where I could possibly see him?”

Melanie, silent for a second she then looks at me from head to toe, she is probably calculating whether she will tell me or not.

The way she look at me I can tell she’s asking like who am I, why I am looking for Michael, that sort of thing. I am about to be irritated by her gesture but I calm myself down and answer her sternly even she haven’t dare ask me those obvious questions yet. “I was instructed to pick him up because his Uncle Mr. Mc Kenzie is waiting for him.”

She probably recovered from what I told her she said.”Just take your seat wherever you find comfortable, I will summon someone to tell him you’re here already. Probably after 20 minutes he’ll be here.”

After I said my thank you I look around, I could still see the green lawn outside. I choose to have another pick outside anyway 20 minutes is still long enough I could still see much before he’ll arrive. I exit at the door where I entered.

I am enjoying the view, the fresh air and the cleanness of the surroundings. Walking not so far away from the clubhouse, my attention is to the man holding a club ready to hit the golf ball, and suddenly someone bump me. It hit my back. When I turn to check who it was, I couldn’t say anything. It feels like, someone poured me a cold water.

Authors note:

Wwwwooooohhhhoooo…another chapter done! Sorry if there are still mistakes. I’m not really good in English but I’m trying.