Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                “Hey!”

                I ignored the voice that was calling behind me as I picked up my pace. I was running late to work and since I hadn’t been able to grab a taxi’s attention, I had to walk to Marty’s. I had thought my walk to work would be peaceful but the moment I stepped onto Fifth, I caught sight of someone I had been ignoring since the night of the club.

                “Holland!” Grey’s voice echoed behind me and I sped up. His voice was closer- a lot closer than it had been a few seconds ago.

                “Hey,” he said as his hand caught my wrist.

                “What?” I hissed as I snapped my wrist out of his hold. I was already in a bad mood, I didn’t need any more crap added onto the already over filled plate.

                “I was calling your name,” he said. “Didn’t you hear me?” he asked.

                I rolled my eyes and fixed my bag strap on my shoulder before I continued to walk, “Get the hint,” I began. “Leave me alone, Grey.”

                With his long legs, he easily caught up to me and kept up even when I sped up my pace. “Did I do something wrong?” he asked.

                Glancing at him from the corner of my eye, I saw that he was walking with his hands stuffed into his coat pockets, a black beanie was slid over his light brown hair and he was glancing at me from time to time as he dodged people that walked along our sides.

                “Yes,” I replied almost instantly. I stopped walking and ignored the glares and profanities tossed my way since I had stopped suddenly in the middle of sidewalk traffic. “You won’t get the hint that I don’t want to be bothered.” I told him.

                Grey stared at me, his blue eyes staring into mine with such intensity that it caused emotions to flow. “What happened to you?” he asked after he had analyzed me from head to toe.

                The way he said it made my stomach clench. What happened to me? He had no idea what I went through after he and Henry left. And he never would if I got it my way.

                “I grew up,” I spat before turning on my heels and walked away.

++

                “You need to stop running away,” Savannah scolded as she scooped up another spoonful of rocky road ice cream and shoved it in her mouth. The girl was crazy over the stuff.

                I rolled my eyes and continued to clean the table tops of the tables. The diner had closed half an hour ago, yet I was still here cleaning up before I locked up and went home. Jen and the others were in the kitchen cleaning up in there while I cleaned up out here. Savannah was supposed to help but cleaning wasn’t a part of her vocabulary.

                “I wasn’t running away,” I replied as I stood back up straight and glared at her from over my shoulder as I walked towards the next booth.

                “Then what the hell were you doing, Holland?” she retorted. “Grey Mathews was trying to be a part of your life and you basically told him to fuck off!”

                I sighed and slapped the towel onto the counter top before twirling around to face my best friend. “I don’t want him in my life!” I yelled at her. “I won’t be some fucking charity case for him! I’ve gotten enough pity to fucking last me a life time. I don’t need him playing a part in my life because Henry died.”