Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                “A coma?” he asked running a hand through his hair.

                I nodded, bag still hitched on my shoulder, hand still holding onto the strap as if it were my only lifeline.

                “How?”

                “She, uh, she overdosed.”

                “Overdosed?”

                I nodded, again, unable to do anything else. “Yeah, she got into some pretty bad things two years ago. Started hanging out with the wrong crowd, started doing drugs. And well the rest is history.”

                Grey didn’t reply, he remained silent, his eyes calculating my every move even though I still remained standing still by my bed. I didn’t like the way he was looking at me just now. With empty eyes, yet full of knowledge. If I were being completely honest, I’d say it scared me.

                “Two years ago, Hailey and I broke up.” Grey stated with clarity in his voice. He knew he was the reason why she went downhill.

                I didn’t respond. I couldn’t bring myself to nod, to utter a few words and tell him his suspecions were correct. How could I? It would destroy him if he knew it was because of him that Hailey took that road to self destruction. But then again, it hadn’t been his fault. He hadn’t put the needle into her vein. He hadn’t been the one holding that bottle of liquor to her lips. He hadn’t been the one egging her on to take one more hit, one more pill, more one drink.

                That was all Hailey. Her and her so called friends.

                “Holland?”

                I found Grey looking at me, worry in his eyes.

                “I need to go,” I told him as I pushed past him and rushed into the bathroom to collect my toothbrush and a few other hygiene things I would need. If I stayed longer than a day then I would be prepared.

                “You’re going to see her?” he asked following me.

                “Yeah,”

                “Now?”

                “Yes,” I replied as I turned to face him. With each of his hands on either side of the door, it was close to impossible to get out without touching him. So I stood there and stared at his chest, unable to meet his gaze again.

                “Your going alone,” was all he said. It wasn’t a question, he knew I was. “Let me come with you.”

                He wanted to see Hailey. The only reason why he was asking to join me was because he wanted to see Hailey.

                “I don’t think you’re stable enough at the moment to face your sister who just woke up from a two year long coma.”

                I squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head, “I’m fine.”

                “Holland,” Grey began but I shook my head.

                “Grey,” I snapped finally meeting his gaze. “I’m fine.”

--