7

Danny was expecting the music lessons to be with someone who was old and has a great knowledge of things, not a dude about his age that knew how to play the piano and was a math nerd. Not to mention, the dude didn't even know how to sing, which is what Dan wanted to learn.

Dan sat on one of the two plastic chairs in the small room with many cabinets, his therapist and his singing teacher talking, Dan couldn't hear them of course, his hearing aids were off.

The therapist gave Dan a wave that Dan didn't see due to not paying attention and left the room. The teacher started talking but Dan continued to tap his fingers.

"-so I'm your singing teacher," he paused, giving Dan a look, "Are you even fucking listening?"

Dan didn't make any show that he was listening.

He sat there and crossed his arms, staring hard at Dan, not attempting to gain his attention any more. They had two hours to learn today and it was Dan's decision if he was going to make the most of it.

Almost two full minutes later Dan suddenly got the feeling he was being looked at. He looked up and caught the hard eyes of his teacher. Dan slowly snaked up his hand and turned on his hearing aid. "Yes?"

The teacher leaned over and then straighten again. "You have a hearing aid?"

"Yes," Dan fumbled with his fingers in his lap, "my therapist didn't tell you that?"

The teacher shook his head and then sat down at the chair parallel to Dan's. "I'm Brian Wecht, your singing teacher. I play the piano and saxophone."

"You," Dan took a good look at Brian. "Are going to teach me to sing?"

"Yes, sing some jams right now."

Dan was frightened for a moment at the sudden request of his voice but quickly recovered. He still, however, didn't have any idea of what to sing, his lullaby not being deemed good enough for right now. He sang whatever came from his mind. "Lady, I have been told that you only date nice guys."

Dan didn't know where he was going with these lyrics but Brian looked interested in it so he had to go on. "Well, if that's how you judge a lover's worth, Your ass just hit paydirt, I'm the most sensitive man on God's green earth."

Brian let out a loud, short laugh, "God, that's funny! What is that song called?"

Dan let out a few nervous laughs. "Oh, it's not called anything, I just made it up now."

"You're pretty good."

"No," Dan said, blowing a piece of air away from his face, "that's why I have singing lessons. What are you going to teach me anyway? You don't sing."

Brian stood up and paced in front of Dan. "You don't need to know how to sing to teach it. You could learn it yourself. You have to reach deep inside and release any emotions that may be lurking there through the power of your voice."

"Yeah," Dan said, cutting in the conversation before Brian can continue speaking, "but how can I do that good? Like I'm deaf, how can I ever be a real singer?"

"Being deaf doesn't matter. Music is all about making people feel good. Actually being able to sing is only a small part of that. You had me laughing with your dumb song earlier so you are already learning the first part."

Brian took a few moments to let the words sink in, and then clapped his hands loudly together. "Alright! Let's start lessons!"