Tongue-tied

Maya's POV

"That'll be $43.20," the taxi driver states with a thick southern Queens accent. I fish out two twenties and a ten.
"Do you want change?" The driver asks.
I shake my head and smile, sending him a silent Thank you. I grab my dark brown messenger bag filled with my sketchbooks, and my black duffel bag filled with my clothes. I hop out of the yellow car, and step out into the rainy New York City street. I rush to the sidewalk and find my way over to my Aunt Katy's bookstore. I pull open the door and step inside the store quietly, so as not to disturb the readers.

"MAYA! SWEETHEART YOU'RE HERE!" Katy shouts.

So much for not disturbing the readers.

She engulfs me in a large hug and I stand awkwardly, with my arms at my sides, not hugging back.
"How have you been?! How'd you get to be so beautiful?! Oh when was the last time I saw you???"
Great. She forgot.

When I don't answer, she gives me a confused look. I bring my head to the ground and shuffle my feet. When I look back up she has an "Ah-hah" look on.
"Oh Maya, sweets, I'm so sorry. It just slipped my mind," she slips her hand on top of my shoulder and begins to stroke it.
Just like mom used to.

I quickly back away from her touch and just plaster a smile on my face to let her know I was fine.
I really wasn't.
Katy's smile returns on her face,
"Oh! Let me show you to your room!!"

I follow her across the store, we pass by many shelves, and I look at each with eagerness. I love books. We're about to turn a corner when something catches my eye. A first edition of Little Women. I stop dead in my tracks and slowly walk over to the book. I delicately remove it from the shelf, then open it to the first page in my hands. I grin as I read the beginning text.
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents",grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

In all honesty Jo was my favorite, she was strong, confident, willful, smart, beautiful.
All the things I wasn't.
I continue to read on when i feel eyes upon me. I glance up from the book to see a boy, about my age, intently staring at me through the bookshelf in front of me. He was leaning up against the bookshelf behind him, and he was surrounded by other boys and girls. My cheeks start heating up, and I could feel my heart racing. I turn my head away, quickly put the book back, grab my bags, and leave my spot as fast as humanly possible. I tuck a piece of my blonde hair behind my ear and rush up the stairs to where Katy was patiently waiting.

"Ready?" She asks as we stop at the top of the staircase, onto the landing in front of a door. I nod assuringly and she opens the door. I step into the large room. It had dark stained pine flooring, light brown walls, and a balcony across the room. I look to my right and I see a full sized bed, with a beautiful handmade quilt draped across it, and two large pillows. I look to my left and I see a large bookshelf/desk, empty. There was a very large closet to the left of the balcony doors, a walk in, and it even had a shoe rack. I set my bags on the bed and sit down next to them.

"Well, I know it's not much, but I hope it's enoug-" I cut her off with the shaking of my head. She laughs at my violent shaking,
"Well, okay. I'll leave you to it."
Katy leaves and I collapse back and place my head on the pillows. I stare blankly at my ceiling, then turn my head towards the balcony. It's sunny now outside. I walk over to the clear glassy doors then open them. I step out to see the busy city before me. As I looked at the tiny people passing by, the sun shining brightly on my face, one quote from
little women just kept racing through my mind.

I may be small, but I've got giant plans to shine as brightly as the sun.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

Not.

A/N

Hey guys! First chapter... Idk if it's any good but, I really liked writing it so... Yeah. I hope you guys enjoyed it! Tell me if you want me to continue or nah!
Ok byeeee~Kat😘