Time Controls Everything

Allison Billson:

Two weeks later and I am still really happy with Jay. I usually went to sleep with swollen lips now thanks to him. I was happy for the first time in a while. I didn’t even think I needed to take antidepressants anymore but didn’t risk it.

Jayden said, “I don’t even know what we should do today.” We were at the breakfast table. Beau was in his room getting ready to leave for the beach. Sam was doing the dishes at the counter. He asked, “What do you want to do today, Ally?”

I shrugged, “I nominate that we just sit here, play Xbox and be lazy for today.”

He scrunched up his nose, “Awe. But it is summer. I want to show you what my summers have been like all this time.”

I smiled, “Okay, then today I am going to show you what I did during the summers.” He looked excited. I chuckled and grabbed his hand, pulling him to my room. I didn’t want to go outside or anything. I didn’t feel like it.

He asked, “What did you do?”

I said, “I sat in my room and played Xbox.” He gave me a flat look. I grinned, “It is just for one day you will be fine.” He huffed but plopped down on the bed anyways. I tossed him a controller while turning it on.

Jayden Holden:

I went down stairs for snack and stopped in the doorway to the kitchen. Sam was sitting with his back to me. A slightly familiar looking guy was sitting across from him. I couldn’t put a name to the face. He looked scared when he saw me.

I said, “Hey. Just came down to get a few snacks.” I went over to the cupboards and got two bowls down. I poured ‘cheese-its’ in them both.

Sam said, “Jay.” I glanced at him. He was leaned against the counter beside me, facing the door.

“Hm?” I mumbled.

He sighed, “That is Jake. Ally’s older brother.” I stopped pouring to look at him. Then I looked back at the man and realized that is why he looked familiar. That only confused me though.

I asked, “Why are you here?” I realized how harsh that sounded so I pressed on, “That sounded rude but I am genuinely curious.” I took in the look on his face and my own fell into a frown. I knew what it was but I wanted confirmation. I mumbled, “Your dad…?” He nodded glancing at the doorway. I said, “She is in the first door on the right upstairs.” He smiled at me but he looked scared. He stood up slowly and walked out of the room.

Sam said, “Don’t even start to yell at me. He came without my knowledge and got a taxi here.”

I said, “Sam, I wasn’t going to say anything so shut up.” I was trying to listen for Ally.

Sam said, “Why don’t you just go up there?”

I sighed, “I want to but this is a family thing.”

Sam rolled his eyes, “You and me both know you love her. You are as much a part of this as her. You will obviously get married, Jayden. It is just a matter of time.”

I shook my head, “No, I know what she went through and I had nothing like that happen to me.” I gave up listening for her. I don’t have that good of hearing. She was pretty quiet when she cried anyways.

I heard Jake, “What do you mean?”

Ally said, “I mean that I know.” They were getting closer. She walked through the door and to the fridge. Jake was in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest.