Chapter 25 - Investigations

Trystan's face broke into a wide grin at the sight of Mikaen and Tirinia outside his office door. "Why, if it isn't Sir Mikaen! Glad you decided to stop by!"

Mikaen forced a smile as Trystan's handshake threatened to break every bone in his hand.

"And Daughter Tirinia!" Trystan gave the Shoran Daughter a hug. "So good to see you again! I still can't believe you grew up so fast."

"Hi Uncle Trystan." Tirinia rested her head on the Seed's shoulder a moment before they released.

Trystan took a seat at his desk before giving them a knowing smile. "So, I hear you two are gonna get hitched."

"Uncle!" Tirinia said, her furry cheeks pink.

Mikaen felt his own face grow red. "We just met."

"So I've heard. Bonded already, eh?" He gave the sentient a knowing wink. "You certainly didn't waste time."

Tirinia did not appear amused. "Stop it, Uncle!"

Trystan shrugged. "I meant no offense. Still, whenever you set the date, make sure to send me an invitation, okay?"

"Uncle, please," Tirinia said, frowning. "We have something important to ask you."

"Oh? Then ask away, by all means."

Rubbing Tirinia's shoulders soothingly, Mikaen said, "What do you know about the recent disappearances?"

Trystan's smile faded a bit. "You saw the news report then?"

Sighing, he offered them some mint fudge from a tin canister. Tirinia and Mikaen both took a piece.

"I've lost three students myself.," Trystan told them, helping himself to a piece o fudge before putting the tin back on his desk. "Two idestan and a young Galden about the same age as my grandson. At first, I thought they had just run into the city for some fun. You know, sneak into pubs, hang out in trendy places, that sort of thing. Typical student behavior."

"Is it?" Mikaen asked, giving Tirinia a sly glance.  Unfortunately, after two weeks ..." He sighed and shook his head. "I'd like to look into it, but my hands are tied."

"But they're your students," Tirinia objected, "I thought the Center had autonomy."

"We do ... here in the Center. If it's outside the Center, however, it falls under the jurisdiction of the Muonsol Guard." He sighed again. Rubbing his eyes, he said, "I've reported the disappearances, but that's all I can do. Believe me, if I had my way, I'd be scouring the forest."

"Surely you have a way to find them." Mikaen said.

"I've tried all the usual magical methods. So far, no luck."

Mikaen frowned. The Knights of the Star had a group called Seekers who were skilled in finding people. Mikaen had never trained as a Seeker, but he was sure that some of them employed magical methods.

"Couldn't you use something that belongs to one of the missing students to track them? Something they came into contact with every day?" Mikaen asked.

Trystan scratched his chin. "I think I see what you're saying: the object would have some infusion of the owner's lifestream, which we might be able to trace if it hasn't already dissipated by now." He shook his head, saying, "By the time we got it set up, it'd be too late."

"How about something a bit more old-fashioned?" Tirinia suggested tentatively.

"What do you have in mind?" Trystan asked curiously.