Chapter 1: Mutations and Murder

Yep short again!

I wrote it on the iPad so there's probably quote a few mistakes. Next chapter will be long as I promise!

Chapter 1

A thin sliver of light enters through my curtain, lighting my room up ever so slightly. 2 hours. That's all the sleep I got last night. I guess I'm more nervous about today then I've let on.

Today is the day of the Reaping. The day where I see if I'll follow my sisters fate.

Waking up every day without Rue's smiling face, bubbly personality and helpful nature is practically hell. I don't no how she has helped me for so long because I found it a challenge to be the big sister to Orchid and Jasmine.

My eyes are groggy so I rub them, trying to wipe the sleep out of my eyes. I slowly get up, opening the curtain so that the sunlight can filter through. I head out and walk down the hallway where Mum and Dad are sitting.

Mum has her hands wrapped around an old, cracked mug that's filled with hot water, which she boiled from the stove.

I pull out a chair and take a seat at the chipped dining table. As I sit down, I hear a creak as the old chair bends at my weight.

It's not like I'm fat. In fact quite the opposite. My figure is slight and frail, but also flexible and I can move as if I'm drifting in the wind. I think it's from all the work out in the fields, me climbing trees and jumping down and what not.

I pull the hair tie off my wrist and throw my tight curled, brown hair into a bun.

"Honey, we have something to tell you about the Reaping today," my mother begins.

"I swear, if you didn't pick me to enter the reaping..." I interrupt, letting my unfinished threat hang in the air.

"Well that's just it. You're the only one of age in our family to be able to enter. In saying that, don't go off and think that you're going to be certainly going into the Hunger Games now, because that's not the case. After all, there's still the Reaping," I nod as my father explains.

Orchid and Lily come bounding down the stairs.

"I'm gonna head out," I tell my family, kissing both my little sisters on the tops of their heads. That's the thing about losing my big sister, I've had to grow up a lot quicker.

I walk through my old, dim, chipping house to my bedroom, where I slip off my underclothes and change into clean ones. I grab a black singlet and pants, then grab a thin jumper. Spring is here after all.

I leave threw the back door, then walk to the edge of the fields. I quietly enter, there aren't many people working here. I slip through the lower parts of the trees and pick off a few berries that I pop into my mouth, savouring the taste. I hope to The Lord that there are no Peacekeepers near, because if so the crime I just committed is punishable my death. Harsh laws here.

"Hey, save some for me," a voice from behind me says and I whip around quickly, surprised by the sudden noise.

I laugh when I realise it's just Alec, a thirteen year old boy who lives near me. A lot of people mistake us as siblings. We both have the same dark brown skin and hazel eyes, as well as our hair however his shaved. There is one physical appearance that we do not share. While I am slight, short and thin, he is already tall and muscly. I guess it's because us younger girls have to go to and fro, tree to tree, picking the berries, however the guys have the job of hauling the bark, berries and everything else, from crate to crate.

You see that a lot in District 11. Big guys and small girls.

I sit down and so does Alec.

"Nervous about today?" I ask. Like me he is the only one illegible to be able to go into the Hunger Games, however he is the youngest in his family. Like me, his older brother Thresh died in the 74th Hunger Games. Just another reason to hate Katniss Everdeen.

He shrugs. "A bit. I kinda wanna go into the Hunger Games so I can prove something to the Capitol, you know what I mean."

I shake my head "Nah, I've got my sisters to think about, I don't want them to lose another sister."

He nods, "Yeah I guess it's different for you. I just hate it. Innocent kids. Mutations. Murder. It's disgusting."

Comment and vote.

((sorry about the length of it))