Holly's Journal Part 1

Encrypted in Gnommish

March 15th, 2012

Hi. I'm Holly Short. This is my journal, a diary of sorts. But I refuse to call it that. If you expect me to write down my feelings here, then you are sorely mistaken. (That's right Argon!! NOT doing it!) Dr. J. Argon insists that this will be good therapy for me. Apparently, I was in some way damaged by Opal's ploy to take over the world and, not to mention, Artemis' death.

I don't believe him. Not only do I have to spend 2 completely useless hours talking about my bloody feelings, I have to write in this thing now! I'd gladly bash Argon's head, break out of the therapy room, and go home to drink a nettle smoothie, but the council and the LEP think it better I get a professional to handle my feelings. They are my feelings! Nobody understands them but me! Ughh... 

It's true though, that I still cry over his death. It was my fault. Opal wanted me to come, and I was supposed to! But then that stupid Mudboy decided to take things into his own hands and leave me drugged on his couch! UGH. i. i could hav helpd.... Stupid..stupid...stupid.... D'ARVIT!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I just....

It's hard. Artemis has been there always. True, at first he was kind of a brat but then he grew up. Simple. I still remember his last words to me, you know.

"I want you to know, my dear friend, that without you, I would not be the person I am today. I was a broken boy, and you fixed me."

What was I supposed to say to that? His last words almost broke me. Now, just so you know, I am an LEP Captain. I've been in service for more than 10 years, and I do not cry easily. The last time was.... Yes, that's right. The last time I cried was when Root died. And he was like a father to me. Artemis, well, he's my best friend. Was. Whatever.

On the other hand, for weeks Foaly had been tinkering away in his lab. I've been pestering him to tell me, because I knew it had something to do with Artemis. Today though, he called me in there. I was suspicious at first. The centaur had a creepy grin on his horsey face. But then I saw what was behind him...

Inside a small metal container was a human boy. It was only about a year old, and still chubby. Wisps of midnight black hair lay neatly on it's forehead, and his eyes were closed. A clear plastic tube led out of it's tiny belly button and I could see amber drops of liquid slowly trickling in. Like an umbilical cord, basically. A see through pane of crystal penned the child in, shielding it from touch.

I approached it and studied it a bit longer. Elves can only have a child every 20 years, which made them special. I, being a female elf, instantly felt protective of the sleeping child.

Foaly looked at me then. I brushed my fingers over the crystal above the child's head. Almost breathlessly, I said, "Artemis is a cute baby, isn't he?" Foaly nodded and at that moment, I almost felt like jumping about, and shouting.

Being the professional that I was, however, I squashed the urge and stayed the whole morning with Artemis and Foaly, drilling the latter about the clone. Foaly says the clone will need about six months to grow to the size Artemis was when he died. Six months. I can wait that long right? Don't get me wrong, I miss Artemis. But, I just really want to bash that boy's brain in for making me worry.

Trouble isn't too happy about the whole clone thing. He knows he can't stop us though, so he's not trying. Good. The person who tries to stop us from bringing Artemis back will have hell to pay. Trouble will talk to the Council about it. I hope he manages to convince them. While I don't want to lose my job, I'll do anything short of killing myself (or another person!) to get him back.

Enough sappy stuff Holly. Concentrate on the future! Artemis Sr. and Angeline aren't taking their son's death well. When I broke the news, Angeline collapsed and went into shock for a week. After we settled her into bed, I explained what happened to Artemis to his father. Doing that was like stabbing myself over again with a poisoned dagger. I held my tears back though, until I was in the quiet of my own dwelling. Beckett and Myles miss their brother of course. The Manor is unusually silent, like all the life had been sucked out.

Beckett, the normally rambunctious 3 year old doesn't talk anymore. Myles is reduced to 2 syllable words now. But I know they'll heal. We all will.

The Service for Artemis was held 2 months after his death. His old body was lowered back into the Earth. I couldn't come. I was invited of course, but I just couldn't stand watching it. I visited the grave later on though. Coincidentally, it was situated near a bend in the small river on the Manor grounds. I planted an acorn beside it. Maybe, in a hundred years or so, I can visit it, and renew my magic there.

Alright. That's enough for today. Argon, if you're even thinking about sharing this with anyone else, don't. Not with Foaly, Commander Kelp, the Council, No one. And especially not Artemis Fowl. Because believe me, if, no, when his soul gets back into the clone, he'll want to see this. You'd better enforce Doctor-Patient confidentiality or else I'll hunt you down and kill you myself. Got it?

Good.

Captain Holly Short

Hey! So, thank you to all of you who've already voted for the first chapter! The support is very much appreciated!! However, I'd also like some feedback on how I'm doing, am I writing Holly and Artemis' personalities well? Butler's? Foaly's? If you have anything to say, I'd be glad to hear it! I'll try to update this book weekly.

~Manang15