CHAPTER ONE

WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF

...🔥...

FROM the age of six, Daisy Davis knew she wanted to be a firefighter. She'd be one the brave to run into the fire, to face the flames and save people's lives. She'd repay her debt and do what had been done for her, she'd stop any other kids facing the same fate she'd had.

That's what brought her to that moment, fifteen years later, her body tired and hope dwindling. The smoke was thick, visibility at almost zero. Flames licked at her bunker gear, so hot she certain the fire would break through and burn her skin, but she couldn't think about that-- she had to make it through. All Daisy could hear was the sound of her own laboured breaking in the confines of her mask, heart pumping painfully inside her chest. She was so close, the exit just ahead in her bleary vision. All she had to do was take two more steps, two more steps and she'd make it out.

A sudden cry of pain had Daisy's head whip back, seeing the fallen figure on his knees, gloved hands pressed against the ground as he coughed and heaved. Daisy knew time was against her, she'd only a minute before it was game over, but she'd be dammed if she left a man behind.

Rushing back through the smoke and flames, Daisy hunkered before her fallen friend "Get up!"

"I cant. I've twisted my ankle." He rasped out, dark eyes defeated behind his mask as he shook his head "You need to go without me."

"That's not happening. You can do this, Pete." Daisy assured strongly "You've got this far, it's one more minute. Do not give up on me."

Peter swallowed thickly as he met her gaze before nodding, groaning in pain as he pushed himself to his feet with her aid. Daisy didn't leave his side as she led them towards the exit where they tossed their masks aside, greedily drinking in the clear oxygen as cough racked their bodies. But the encouraging cheering from below had them focus, and the pair pushed on, Daisy helping Peter down the metal staircase as fast she could where their final trial lay. Nodding reassuringly, Peter departed from the girl, the pair gripping hold of their weighted dummies before they started to drag them across the concrete.