CHAPTER TWO

DAISY DUCK

DAISY DUCK

...🔥...

SITTING at the countertop alone, Daisy picked at her dinner, not feeling particularly hungry as the men of Truck 81 played cards at the table. Something Matt took notice of as he entered the room, he looked from the tale to Daisy before making his way over "Hey, how's your first shift going?"

"Good." She put on a smile.

"Everyone treating you okay?" He questioned.

Daisy swallowed the lump in her throat as she nodded, letting out a hum "Yeah, everyone's great."

Matt regarded her for a moment, glancing towards his men before looking back at her "In future, when chow's ready, you come eat as part of the family. Bathrooms can wait."

"You got it, sir." Daisy nodded softly, Matt clapping her on the shoulder before he joined the men.

"Say, Herrmann." Otis started and Chris pulled his gaze away from Daisy "You think maybe you just bought a little too much house?"

Chris frowned "I was preyed upon by low-interest loan vultures."

"What time is the Mayor coming?" Matt questioned, taking a seat.

Joe shrugged, placing down an eight of diamonds "I heard 9:00."

"I heard he stops to take a piss at every house in the city," Otis commented "as a sign of respect."

Mouch nodded, not looking away from his newspaper "Stopped here in June."

Chris noticed the clock "Hey, Boden's about to fight in ten minutes."

Matt frowned, looking down at his watch before sighing "Screw it. Let's take a ride."

...🔥...

WITH the truck pulled up outside the boxing club, Otis and Cruz climbed the ladder to get a better view of the fight, and up high they could see see through the sky light, right into the ring. Daisy sat, one leg tucked to her chest as the other dangled from the edge, her gaze drifting out over the city as Otis's voice crackled over the radio "Hello, sports fans. This is Brian Zvonecek, coming to you live from the annual battle of the badges. Firefighters versus the police. I hope you all are ready for this. Boden looks like a heat-seeking missile as he climbs in the ring to take on captain Olmstead from the CPD. Olmstead, of course, looks like the quivering cop slob that he is. Chief Boden first won back in 1992, when he was part of the esteemed Truck 81--There goes the bell, and here we go. Takes two jabs to the nose. Oh! He falls back into the ropes. One, two, three to the chin. Boden's in trouble already, folks."