Chapter 3~

Lisbeth POV (December 19, 1846)

“One, two, three, one, two, three, and… Parvani Kurree Saunderson!” The instructor screamed. “Pull yourself together. Your sisters' day of birth is today!.” She seemed to float up to Parvani, “This is no time for joking! Show some courtesy!” She turned away from her swiftly, returning to her spot at the center of the ball room. “Now, let’s start from the beginning.”

I groaned in agony. My legs were stiff, and the corset I was forced to wear, didn’t help my breathing at all.

Maybe I shouldn’t have gone hunting earlier. I sighed inwardly.

“My legs are killing me!” Parvani screeched, throwing her hands above her head. I giggled as the instructor stomped over to her once again, barking out words of discipline that she would get punished for being “un lady-like”.

“It’s almost time!” called out a voice from behind the scene. There stood my Uncle, Damond. He always seemed to have a corrupt aura about him, but I could never pin-point what it could have meant. I shouldn’t be thinking such atrocious things of him, but he seemed so dark and brooding behind his facade.

“Yes Uncle!” cried out an overly excited Y’lisse. She ran to him, giving him a vast embrace. “I can not wait to be finally crowned as a Princess in the running.”

I rolled my eyes at how much of an unruly child she was being.

“What gift are you giving me this year, Uncle?” She quizzed.

“That,” he purred, “is a secret, my dear.”

The clocked tower powerfully rang out the six o’clock bell. Informing the villagers that it was time for dinner. Except, today they would not need of it. Today, it informed them that the ball would begin in two hours.

“Do you hear that?” yipped an unhappy instructor. “That is the sound of last minute failure!”

“No.” replied a calm, collected voice.

Everyone’s heads turned back to the large double doors.Where Mother stood, dressed in an all  white ball gown

“I believe, it is time for my children to get ready. Today is the day we celebrate the transformation from Pre-Springs to Princesses.” She made her way gracefully to the center of the elegant room. The women in her presence curtisied, and the men bowed.

“Hi mother!” squealed an excited Y’lisse.

“Hello, dear.” Mother sent her a brilliant smile. Making her way over to us. Stopping before us, she whirled around to the others of the room. “You may all get ready! Tonight will be absolutely marvelous.” The people in the room, hurriedly made their way out. Mother turned back towards Y'lisse and I.

“Are you girls ready?” she asked with a twinkle in her eye.

“Of course, Mother!” Y’lisse squeaked, throwing herself onto mother. She squeezed tightly before whisking herself away to prepare. I firmly pressed my lips together, furrowing my eyebrows.

“Are you ready, Lisbeth?” she questioned worriedly. I looked up at her, putting on my best façade smile.

“I was made for this mother.” I responded, hoping I didn’t sound doubtful.