Chapter 3: Surprise Visit

It had been a few days since Kate arrived at the Middleton household, and she was adjusting well to the new environment. Though it was still hard for Kate to talk around Dan and Jemma since she hadn't known them for too long. Jemma's cold had gone away and today was the day that the new family would go out and shop for Kate's room.

Kate looked towards Dan "so you think this will be good colors to my room?"

"Yeah, even though I'm not good with color. Jems better with that than I am, but back to the matter at hand, yeah I think those would be great colors."

Kate smiled at Dan when Jemma came in. Dan lifted his head up and looked at Jemma.

"You finally done getting your makeup on?'

"Yeah, have you decided on your color/colors for you room Kate?"

"I think so, me and Dan were looking at these two colors. One color for an accent wall and the other color for the other walls in the room."

"Yeah, I told her I'm not good with colors and you probably would have a better sense of it than I do." Dan said

"Here I'll take a look, is that okay Kate?"

"Yeah, Totally"

Jemma looked at the colors that Kate had chosen and said "blue your favourite color?"

"Yeah, so are we gonna go out and get those colors?"

"Yeah, but first me and Dan have somewhere to take you before that."

Dan looked confused until Jemma elbowed him "Right honey?"

"Oh yeah real special reeallly special, so we should get going right? right?"

Kate looked at them weirdly and walked out to the car.

"Where are we taking her again Jem?"

"Oh come on you remember."

"I'm sorry Jem, I really don't."
It's downtown remember? Well anyway were you able to find out when we could start to plan our first family vacation to I hope Disney World?"

"No, not yet I think we should get to know Kate a little more before we start to plan anything like that."

"Come on Dan, what a better way to get to know our daughter than by going on a family vacation to Disney."

"We'll see, come on let's get in the car, by now Kate will think we gave the pugs a bath."

Jemma rolled her eyes and followed Dan down to the car. Even though it was a quite a quiet drive to the place it didn't stay that way for long. Kate started to think not about Dan, Jemma or the pugs but about her 'old' life the one she knew since she was a toddler. She thought of the few memories she had of her mum and dad. The thought of the orphanage, her old school, and her swim team.

"We are here Kate" Dan said

Kate looked up to see a big building not small but not overly huge building. Right in the middle of the downtown area of the town Dan, Jemma and her lived in. She read the sign "Pool" then Dan and Jemma yelled "surprise!"

"They have a swim club in town, and we know you are a swimmer and we'd think you would like the team here." Said Jem

"Wow, just...............wow, uh wow. Can.......can we go inside to see what the pool looks like?"

"Of course we can Kate, that's why we took you here, we wanted to know what you would think of the pool and the people here." Jem said.

"Hey, I'm gonna go in by myself. I'll be back in about fifteen. I'll be checking out the pool."

"Alright, that sounds great just drop us a text if you want us to come inside." Dan said

As Kate entered the pool building she was actually pretty excited to see what the pool looked like and was pretty anxious to get in the water again and swim. Upon entering she went up to the front desk where they were greeted by a lifeguard who was working the front desk. Kate looked at him and he seemed kind of familiar. She just couldn't lay her finger on it. But besides that otherwise she thought the lifeguard was pretty cute. They were talking about the pool and the swim team there.

Kate finally asked him "so do you swim for this team?"

He smiled and said "Yeah I'm a high school junior."

"So am I." Kate replied.

He put out his hand. " I'm Luke."

Kate put out her hand and shook his hand. "Kate, I just moved here"

"Well, if your looking for a job the pool is short on staff and needs more lifeguards."

"Oh, man that sounds great. I am trained as a lifeguard but never have had a job as one."

A voice called out "Luke breaks over time to get back on the gaurd tower."

"Well that's my que, can I have your number in case you need help with anything like greeting around town."

"Yes here" Kate wrote it down on a piece of paper.

"Cool, I'll text you later about that job."

"Come on Luke, time to get back on the gaurd tower."

"See you later Kate." Luke walked away and put the piece of paper in his backpack and ran out to the pool deck to change out with the lifeguard who was guarding on his break.

Kate finally got a chance to walk around the pool and she felt like it was a good fit for her. After looking around she waved bye to Luke. He smiled and waved back and Kate went back to the car to join Jem and Dan.

"So what did you think of the pool?"

"I think it's a great fit and I think I'm  gonna like it there." She replied