Chapter 10: The Monster, Duck Tape, and The Almost-First

Big Thanks to HunnayCakes for making the new cover :)! Isn't is just B-E-A-U-TIFUL!?!

Chapter 10:

            When I dropped Noah off at his school, I noticed more kids coming to watch me. I held my head up and handed Noah his Cars backpack before kissing his forehead.

I set off on my trek to school. A lot of kids drove past me and made rude comments, but I pretended that I didn’t hear them, that it didn’t hurt. But, it did. I may not know them, but what they said still affected me. I did have a heart.

Apparently, they didn’t.

I pulled the hood of my jacket higher as I climbed the stairs to the school. I received many stares again. I ignored them and continued to my locker. After grabbing my things, I noticed I was earlier than usual, so I headed to the library. The place I’d been hoping to go for the past few days.

There were so many books to read, to discover. I smelt the crisp smell of fresh pages and heard the sound of chairs moving and pages turning. Some kids were scribbling, trying to finish their homework at the last second.

I climbed to the second floor and searched for something that caught my attention. I picked up several worn-out books and sat down to read the first. I transported to the world in the book. I wasn’t Rain anymore, and I wasn’t shy. I was happy in the book, but the sound of a chair took me out.

I shook my head and peered over the top of the book to see my company.

It was Adam.

            “Hey! You usually don’t come here in the mornings,” He stated.

            “I know, but I was early, so I decided to see what books were here,” I whispered.

            “I usually come to finish my homework,” Adam continued. “Hey, we all decided we’re going to the mall after school today. Do you wanna come?” Truthfully, I wanted to go, but I had to watch Noah and didn’t want to bother them.

Adam seemed to realize my problem “Y’know, you can bring Noah. That’s fine. We’d all like to meet him,” Adam let out small smile to reassure me.

I hesitated before nodding. His smile broadened. The bell rang, and I hurried through the hallways to class, but I didn’t make it.

I slammed into a thin body and looked up.

Kaitlin.

My anger boiled. She ruined everything.

She made everyone hate me.

She lied about everything.

She made Jace hate me.

And that hurt the most. She had kept her promise of ruining my life, but she was gonna get it back.

After all, what goes around comes around.

I sidestepped her before she could say anything and tried to ignore what she was yelling after me.

            “Don’t you regret it! I told you I ruled this school!” She screeched after me. “Have you had enough? We all have! You should just leave…..and take your little monster with you.”

I felt my blood rush through my body, and my heart was beating so fast, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. She called him a little monster like the woman at the preschool.

Noah was the sweetest child, and they were missing out by not knowing them.

They were the monsters.