Chapter 3

I woke up. Tangled hair. Drooled all over. I was disgusting. The last thing I remembered was a voice. It said something that wasn't clear to my ears. A voice which I'm not certain of the gender. Well, everyone will somehow have that kind of dream.. right? Suddenly an ice cold breeze went through my bedroom window. It was slightly opened. Weird.. I don't remember opening it before I fell asleep.
I was almost late for school. As I listened to the tv while making toast, the sound of the doorbell rang. To my surprise, it was Alex. I invited him inside to have breakfast with me.

"Wow, you look terrible!" he yelled.
"Thanks for the compliment." I replied sarcastically.
He felt guilty and just ate silently.

          We both arrived at school just in time for the first bell to ring. In class, the horrible noise of the students didn't bother me anymore. Rather, I didn't care to listen at all. Our home room teacher, Mr. Andrews came into the classroom and suddenly the atmosphere turned dead silent.

"Okay, students! Today we have a new transfer student in our class." he gestured the student to come inside. It was a small statured boy. He looked really thin and weak. As I looked closely at him, I was shocked and made a small gasp. Everyone turned to me in confusion. I noticed this and lower my head down to my desk, embarrassed and still in shock.

It was the boy at the mall.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

          Coincidentally, Mr. Andrews ordered him to sit next to me. Well, it wasn't all that coincidental since the seat next to me was always empty. Aston Winslow. That was his name. He was still wearing that same black jacket I saw the other day. I secretly glanced at him for a few minutes. He was looking out the window, almost like he was looking for something. Something beyond this world.
          Aston didn't introduce himself to us, so we still didn't get to hear his voice. I didn't get to concentrate on Mr. Andrews in class at all. I just thought about wanting to know more about this mysterious boy sitting next to me. Actually he seemed really normal if I say so myself but something inside me said otherwise.

"Psst.. want to ask the new kid to eat with us during lunch break?" Alex whispered to me from the back.
"Uh.. sure if you want to.. I mean, why?" I said to him quietly.
"I don't know. Maybe it's because he seems to be alone. Just like you a few years back." he said while making an annoying face.
"You should ask him then." I said, a little taken back with his statement.

          Lunch break. Alex walked to Aston's desk while I was still attached to my seat, waiting anxiously.

"What's up, dude! Let's go get some lunch?" he said with a thrilled expression. I can't bring myself to accept the way he invited the new kid. What an awful first impression! Aston somehow managed to control his awkward expression and declined politely using his hand gesture. I poked Alex signalling him to stop and he nodded. We both exited the classroom and went to the canteen.

"What's wrong with him? I even asked politely!" Alex said, crossing his arms, not satisfied by Aston's reply. Sulking like a little child.
"That was polite? Pfft.." I made fun of him, causing him to sulk even more.
"Well, there's always a next time!" he said.
"Yeah.. I hope." I replied.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

          I was walking home alone after school was over. Alex had to go somewhere else, so we parted ways and said goodbye. Tomorrow's Saturday, so I was in no rush. I actually enjoy long walks in the neighbourhood. As I walk past down a small hill, I saw someone laying leisurely on the grass while looking up the sky. I smirked at the idea of someone having the same interest as me. I stopped to look at that person.

It was Aston.