Chapter 3

“Hey Bailey, wait up! Bails!”

  I turn around to see Sam running up to me.

  “God, Bailey. Why do you walk so fast?” She pants. “You know what never mind this is more important. Guess what we’re doing tonight!”

  Oh no. I hate it when Sam says that. It always leads to something I end up regretting later.

 “I don’t know. What?” I ask warily, one day soon I’m afraid she’ll say rob a bank or something similar. I’d do anything for Sam, even that.

 “It’s more fun if you guess.”

 “We’re not going streaking in the park again, are we?”

 “No, but that was fun…”

 “Sam.” I groan. I don’t want to give her any ideas.

 “Okay. No, we’re doing something better.” Uh oh “We’re having a sleepover. Equip with tons great movies, hot popcorn and fresh gossip.”

 “What’s the catch?” I know Sam, and there’s either a huge ‘but’ or she’s just buttering me up for some crazy idea she has tomorrow.

 “No catch.” She says her eyes wide and innocent.

 “But...”

 “But, I would love it if we both went to Melanie’s party on Saturday.”

 “We hate Melanie. We’ve hated her since 1st grade, when she put chewing gum in your hair.”

 “God, she’s a bitch.” Sam says, remembering. “But she has fantastic parties. Please will you go with me? I won’t go without you.”

 “God, Sam, I don’t –“

 “Will you, Bailey Marie Anderson, accompany me, Samantha Riley Fern to Melanie’s party on Saturday?” Sam is on one knee, practically yelling this in the middle of the school courtyard.

 “Sam, get up. People are looking!’ I hiss.

“Oh the pain! The horror!” Sam is practically wailing now.

 “Sam, I’ll go with you if you shut up and we don’t do the sleep over tonight, I’m really tired.” She stops and thinks for a moment.

 “I’m good with that. Thanks Bails see you tomorrow!”

 “Bye.” I call out after her.

 “What are you looking at?” I say to the people still bothering to stare, and make my way to my car.

  On my way I see Felix. He seems to be walking home. I pull up beside him.

 "Need a ride?" He jumps, startled and grins.

 "If it's not too much trouble." 

 "Get in." 

 Felix directs me to his house. I try to make small talk as he's being unusually stoic.

 "Are you going to Melanie's party tomorrow?" 

 "Nah probably not. Those types of things aren’t really my scene."

 "Me neither." I can't help, but feel a little disappointment at him not being there, though.

 "Then why are you going?" he asks, curiously.

 I shrug and say simply "Sam." He nods, understanding. We drive in silence for a bit, him directing me where to go. 

 "I might swing by too, you know, for a bit." He says quietly.

 “If those types of this aren’t really your scene,” I say, mocking him. “Then why are you going?”

 He shrugs and says simply “You.” 

 I Instantly feel my face heat up, and just know I look like a tomato. I also know that he probably didnt mean it in the way I wish he did, but when I finally look up at his downcast face, I swear I see a faint pink flooding his cheeks. 

Breathe Bailey. Breathe. 

 I drop him at his house, not even bothering to see what it looks like.

 “See you later Bailey.” God, I hope so.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me what you think about everything; the cover, the story, the characters, your dog. Whatever. Thanks for reading. Stay gold. Zoe xx