Chapter 14

That night, I slipped out of the door, heading through the kitchens to go outside. The moon was full now, sending silvery rays all over the plants. As I moved through the garden, the light gave it a mystical quality, almost ethereal, suitable for what I wanted to do. Finding the small clearing in the back of the garden once more, I knelt in the middle of it, and called the water in the air to me. It came with a rush, joining to form a swirling disk in front of me. I touched it gently, and the centre parted, revealing not the garden behind, but the inside of a house.

“Flynn?” I asked it softly, hoping that no one else was around. After a few moments, an older man came into view, and I smiled involuntarily. He hadn’t changed much. His thick hair was a little whiter than I’d last seen him, and his beard was – as always – a tangled mess. Behind the round glasses were kind grey eyes, bright with intelligence and laughter. He smiled at me when he saw me.

“Isla, how nice to see you. How are you?”

I shrugged a shoulder, comfortable enough with him to do that. “I don’t know,” I replied softly. “But I have some questions.”

“Let me sit down, darling, and then you can fire away. Is everything going alright over there?”

I shook my head slowly. “Not really,” I murmured, and waited until he was seated before I raised my left arm. He stared at me, his eyes wide with shock.

“No.”

I nodded, feeling tears prick my eyes again. “A few weeks ago.”

“Why?” he demanded. “Don’t they know who you are?”

This time, I shook my head. “They don’t, Flynn,” I replied. “He doesn’t understand me at all.”

He sighed, his whole being emanating sympathy. “How can I help you, Isla?”

“He…” I paused, thinking, and then sighed. “It’s Korith, Flynn.”

His expression went thunderous. “The young fool!” he boomed. “How dare he keep you?”

I had to smile at his reaction. “He’s too young to understand, Flynn. But I need to ask you something.”

“What is it, my dear?”

“His book.”

“Oh.” He shifted slightly, and I narrowed my eyes at him. “That.”

“Yes, that. Why does he have your book? You know that the condition was that you wouldn’t show anyone. He’s read it!”

He flinched, and wouldn’t meet my eyes. “I trust him, Isla. He’s like a son to me.”

“That doesn’t make a difference!” I glared at him, holding his gaze. “Why does he have it?”

“I left the house to him, Isla,” he explained. “And everything in it. I forgot about it.”

“Hmm.” I wasn’t convinced, and I knew that he knew it. “You are lucky none of the others found out before.”

He winced, and sighed. “I’m sorry, Isla. What can I do to mend it?”

“Nothing, now. I had to lie to him to protect us both. It was a good thing only Sofie knows about it.”

“I really am sorry, Isla. Let me make it up to you. Please.”

I shook my head sadly. “Not now. I will hold you to that.” I knew exactly what I was going to ask him for.

He nodded, accepting. “Is there anything else, my dear?”

I nodded. “I need you to talk to Henna. She doesn’t know I’m here.”

“Of course. Are you sure he doesn’t understand who you are? If he’s read the book…”

I shook my head. “He doesn’t. The book is vague at best, and gives no indication. At the moment, my only value to him is what I am. I need to keep it that way.”

“Of course you do,” he assured me, his eyes full of concern for me. “I’ll pay a visit soon, I think. It’s been a while.”

That made me smile. “He told me about you,” I said, and his eyes widened.

“He what? That’s not like him. He must trust you, then.”

I lifted a shoulder, dismissing it. “He doesn’t remember me, Flynn. Our plan worked.”

“Good.” He made to say something else, but a sound came from somewhere out of my view, and he frowned, looking beyond me. “I’m sorry, Isla. Something has come up. I must go.”

“It is alright, Flynn,” I replied with a smile. “Thank you.”

He gave me a nod, and then I touched the water, letting it distribute back into the air. I stayed where I was for a while, deep in thought, but gentle footsteps jolted me out of them. I turned, and found that the doe and her fawn had returned. This time, she stayed back, but the little fawn tottered forward to collapse beside me, almost on top of me. I smiled, and ran my hand down his back and side gently.

“You know, don’t you, little one?” I murmured. The pain that had plagued me all afternoon began to fade, and I knew that what I suspected was true. I closed my eyes, letting the tears fall. The touch of the fawn’s tongue was gentle, but I carefully pushed him away. I cupped my hands, filling them with water, and let him drink. As he did, I watched him, making sure that I would always remember him.

When he finished, I parted my hands and watched the water drain into the ground. He nuzzled me, and I smiled, patting him absently. He soon fell asleep, having made himself comfortable as close as he could get to me. His body warmth flowed through me, and I began to relax, grateful. Acting on impulse, I decided to stay there for the night. The fawn wasn’t going to be moving anytime soon, and I knew that the doe would watch over us. I looked at her, and she looked at me, patient and kind. She blinked, just the once, and I carefully manoeuvred myself around the fawn to curl up with him, trying not to wake him.