Chapter:2

I sat on my tailgate eating my leftovers from last night. At the moment it was quiet except for the traffic. Laughter came from behind me. Two girls came up.

"Mind if we sit here?" The brunette asked. "Not at all." I replied. The brunette pulled herself up while the redhead was having trouble. A guy came up and lifted her onto the tailgate before walking over to the truck next to mine.

"So are you new to Marshall?" The redhead asked. "Guess you could say that." "Where are you from?" The brunette asked. "Dodge City, Kansas. The outskirts." Both looked like they were interested in where I lived.

"I'm Becky." The brunette said. "And I'm Amber." The redhead introduced herself. "Tessica, but most at my old school called me Tessie." I said. "Nice." They said at the same time.

They might be my new friends here. "Oh and the guys over there are Xavier, Aaron, Fisher, Kirk, and Logan." Becky said pointing to each. My alarm we off telling me to get to work.

"Oh I've got to go." I said packing up my lunch. They slid off my tailgate before I did. I put the tailgate up and threw my bag in the backseat. "So same time tomorrow?" Becky asked. "Sure." I said.

I got in and closed my door. Out of my rearview mirror I could see the boys looking at my truck. The two girls went over to that truck and got up on the tailgate. I backed out and put it into gear.

The drive to work was the usual quiet. When I got there I parked and got out. I locked the truck and went in. "Afternoon Jessie." I clocked in and got to work restocking shelves.

Working at the feed store wasn't that bad. Mrs. Edwards was in charge. She was mean. The manager was kinder than her. He's the one that gave me the job.

I finished stocking the shelves and he told me to go out and help load feed. I did that until five. Then clocked out and went home. First stopping at the fields.

I parked and grabbed my notebook. I got into the bed and got to work on it. This is the only place I can think. Right now things are slow. Once spring hits I'll be busy. Luckily I have enough money for electricity and water plus food.

I put my notebook up and went to my house. Both vehicles were gone meaning my parents were gone. I got a shower and fixed supper for myself and lunch for tomorrow. I don't expect much in life anymore. Practically having to work to live. I went to bed after fixing my lunch for the next day.

If you asked me if I would have made friends two weeks ago I would have said no

If you asked me if I would have made friends two weeks ago I would have said no. Becky and Amber were like friends I've never had and it's true I've never really had friends to be honest.

I pulled into my parking spot and got out. Before I could even get to the back my tailgate was already down and Becky was already on it. I jumped up sitting next to her.

A guy came up. Kirk and Fisher glared at the guy as he walked up. Then Aaron, Xavier and Logan turned to look at the guy. Now all five were glaring at him.

The guy walked right up to me. "Hey sweetheart. How are you?" He asked me. "Is really any of your business?" I smarted. He kept the smirk on his face.

"I know you don't know me, but I'm Kale." He said introducing himself. "And I'm not interested." I said. He chuckled, literally chuckled. "I'm not asking you out. I'm just trying to be friendly."

"And I'm still not interested." I told him. He shook his head keeping the smirk. "Well when you are let me know baby." He said before walking away.

The look on my face said it all. "Never in a million years." I said aloud. Becky giggled. "Same here." She said. The tailgate bounced as Kirk hopped up on it. "Yeah and he's never going to get you with me around." He said putting his arm around her.

Aaron stood next to me leaning on my truck. "Hey we better get to class." Logan said looking at the guys. "Dude we've got five minutes." Xavier said. I rolled my eyes. "I don't know about you but I'm getting to class." Logan told him.

I grabbed my bag from behind me and checked my phone. Three minutes until class. I jumped off and followed him to class. Never am I going to be late to class. He stopped to talk to someone. I passed him and entered the class room.

I sat in my seat just before he entered. I got my notebook out and did the bell ringer. Kale walked in just before the bell rang. Something told me he's trouble.

Mrs. Hathaway came in and started writing on the board. We all just sat there until she moved away. "Get started." She said gruffly.

I shrugged it off and flipped to the page. This may be boring but it has to be done thanks to those that thought it would be fun to prank the sub on Friday.

I was the first one done so I checked out a few things. "Tessie." I turned and saw Kale sitting next to me. "Are you busy later?" He whispered. "Don't even think about it Edwards." Logan said from behind me.

"Kale back to your seat. You can get girls after my class." Mrs. Hathaway said. He got up and walked back over to his seat, smirking. Once class was over I grabbed my stuff and hurried out the door.

"Woah ho ho. Where are you going baby girl?" Kale said coming out of no where. "Away from you." I smarted off. "Why? Every girl wants me." He said. "I don't so I suggest you leave me alone."