Chapter 1

*Beep* *beep* I roll over in my bed, wrapped in sheets. 4:30. I roll out of my bed and slowly start walking to the bathroom. I have pictures of my parents and older brother on the sides of the mirror. Just looking at them helps me feel less hopeless. My parents died when I was 16. They died in an unpredicted house fire. The cause was never found. I was supposed be to in the house, but I snuck out to hang out with friends. The fire started at midnight my brother was the only one who survived, the house didn’t even survive, and it was burned to the ground. Nothing has been the same since my parents died. My brother is in a mental hospital, still to shell shocked to talk. I live alone, which is unusual for a 17 year old girl.

Finally as I blink back the tears from thinking about my family. I look in the mirror and see my own green/blue eyes staring back at me. Every day is harder, harder to wake up; get ready; still want to live… Lately my attention is all on school, which is super stressful. I push all thoughts from my mind start brushing my teeth. I pick out clothes, throw my hair into a messy bun and finally slap on my makeup. Once I pack up my book bag I make my way to the door, 2 feet from the door I hear a crash outside my apartment door. I slowly open the door.

I look to the right and see my neighbor Ms. Hummington. She loves slamming her door so it’s about time karma kicked in; she was locked out of her apartment kicking the door. You can hear her 50 cats hissing at the loud thuds of the old lady’s frantic kicking. Ms. Hummington’s gray hair was falling out of her tight bun with every kick. Her pastel flower dress and old lady shoes, which she always wears, looked worn out; I wonder if she ever washes them.

I slowly walk by her then start sprinting realizing I was going to be late to school. I find my car in the parking lot. 1997 Mustang. I dig in my book bag trying to find my car keys. "Shit" I mutter, my keys aren’t in my book bag. I run back up to my apartment. I arrive at my apartment. 5C. I quickly found them on the bar, so I grab them and then run out the door. Soon I run back realizing I forgot to lock the door. I lock the door and go running back to my car. Now I’m defiantly going to be late to school. I’m halfway to school when I realize I’m being followed. I keep my eyes on the road then I look back in my rearview mirror and realize the car wasn’t there anymore. I pull into the parking lot at school at last.

Syccamere High isn’t the best school to be at, the outside of the school is pealing and no one seems to wash the windows. All in all it’s a haunted house all year long. The land around it isn’t any better, the grass is dead and the trees are barely hanging onto life. Sadly the school fell apart the year before my freshman year when the old principal died and the new principal doesn’t give one fuck about the school.

In the parking lot was the usual fight, two guys fighting over a girl. I break through the excited crowd surrounding the fight. People around here love watching fights, we aren’t the most peaceful people, we’re a southern town gone wrong, we are built on fighting now a days. The only plus to it is that I know how to defend myself. But suddenly I’m in the ring of fighting.

"Hey get out, this is our fight." yells Bruce, he isn’t the easiest person to get along with, but he is one of my friends in this stupid town.

"Calm down, Bruce. Maybe you should stop letting your ego get to your brain and ask the girl what she wants." Wow, I sound like a lecturing mom. Next thing I know I’m going to be lecturing about flossing. Luckily I don’t remember the importance, so I’m not too much like a mom. Soon the whole crowd is booing, they want a fight. I leave letting the fight happen, not wanting to get in the fight myself.

The first thing I do after I park my car in the apartment parking lot is check my mail. Bill. Bill. Bill… and what’s this?... another bill.

"Figures" I say under my breath.

I walk up five flights of stairs, just to realize I forgot the keys to my apartment in my car. By now I’m totally done and pissed off so I pick the lock with a bobby pin that I found in my book bag. Slowly I self-teach myself to pick the lock to my apartment. Finally the door opens. I throw my book bag on the floor, and put the bills on the counter in the kitchen. Throwing myself on the couch I moan realizing the remote is on the coffee table. Slowly reaching for the remote is harder than it sounds because next thing I know I’m starting to fall off the couch. Two hands on the floor and half my body on the couch I go for the coffee table 5 year old style. All of a sudden something grabs my feet and pushes me and I go head first into the coffee table. The last thing I see is a guy my age in a black hoodie standing over me.

Then everything goes black.