Chapter 9

I open my eyes, I was still in the car. I looked over and saw James absently driving into town. We pull into my favorite restaurant. Ronnies. He unbuckles his seatbelt and walks around the car to my side. Then I realize how dead legged I was, I couldn't even get out of the seat. He reached over and unbuckled my seatbelt and but his arms around my waist helping me up.  

"You would think it would be the other way around since you got shot and I didn't." I say with a laugh and then wince.  

"What's wrong?" He asks with worry filling his sea blue eyes.  

I slowly lift up my shirt.  

"What the hell happened Amber?" He yells in anger "Why didn't you tell me!" 

"I didn't want to worry you, you already had enough on your plate."  

"How bad is it?"  

"I don't know I haven't looked at it since we were in the hospital." I answer  

"Follow me." He says strictly.  

James grabs my hand and walks towards the door under the flashing blue sign that always made me feel at home. Once we were in Ronnies he pulls me straight to the women's bathroom. No one was in the bathroom but us. James turns around and locks the main door. I wonder if other bathrooms have those. As he walks towards me he tells me to hold my arms up. I do what he tells me to and he pulls my shirt over my head. James numbly feels around for the end of the wrap until it finds it. He slowly unwraps it and I could tell it didn't look very good by the look on his face.  

"I'll be back." He mutters.  

He turns and walks out of the bathroom, I follow him and after the door closes I lock it so no one can come in. I walk back to the long, big mirror behind three sinks. The gash had gotten worse I don't think the hand sanitizer worked. Right when I'm about to pick at it and probably make it worse I hear a knock on the door.  

"James" I say my head against the door. 

"Amber, let me in." He responds.  

I reach up above the big oval handle and unlock the latch, and open the door.  

James comes in with bottles of liquid.  

"What is that?" I ask  

"It's medicine that will heal your gash completely." He says.

He goes into the stall and rips off some toilet paper and then opens the bottle.  

"Go against the wall." He orders.  

I do what he says and he walks over to me and dips the toilet paper into the bottle of liquid. He looks me in the eye then slowly rubs it on the gash, making sure my eyes don't show any pain. I break my look from his eyes and look at the gash. It was almost completely gone, with every stroke it looked better and smaller. I look back into his eyes, we inch closer until he's mouth is centimeters from mine then he says "You look ugly with those scratches on your face."  

He cracks up laughing and I push him away jokingly. He comes back towards me and puts his hands around my waist. 

"I was just kidding you always look beautiful." He reaches up and lightly lays his hand over the scratches on my cheek.  

James leans in and kisses me. We kiss slowly and then he starts reaching up my back to the hook in my bra. He unhooks it and I stop kissing him.  

"Not here." I breathe. He starts kissing the scratches on my neck then slowly down my neck until he reaches my collar bone.  

"James." I say breathlessly. 

He stops and puts his forehead against mine, still breathing hard and slowly starts nodding his head realizing this isn't the right time or place. I hook my bra and walk over to my shirt that's was still on the floor and put it back on. I turn around and see James with his head against the wall. I couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or disappointed. He turns around quickly and we walk out of the bathroom.

"Hey let's go to a movie." James suggests after dinner. 

I nod and slide into the car, he gets in the car and turns the key in the ignition. Dinner was quiet, I'm pretty sure this is his first time being denied. We drive to the closest theater and when we get out I realize it's pouring rain. James runs over to me and holds a jacket over my head so that I won't get wet. I smile and I give in and kiss him. I back away and see him smiling. Maybe I didn't mess things up by rejecting him.Then he grabs my hand and we walk to the ticket counter. He gets tickets to a random movie, something I've always loved doing. If the movies good you can enjoy it and if it sucks well you can laugh and make fun of it for the rest of your life. We walk into the theater and we are the only ones watching the movie. I run around the movie theater and he chases after me laughing. He finally catches me and puts his hands around my waist and then he turns me around and we kiss, harder than normal. He just won't give up on sex will he I think to myself. Finally the movie starts and I race him to the top row of seats. We get there at the same time and fight over seats before we laugh and settle into random ones. I lay my head against his chest and I feel him shift. I feel a piece of cloth against my nose and mouth the scent was so sweet it was almost relaxing then I realized what it was, right when my vision became blurry.  

"JAMES" I screamed, muffled by the cloth.  

Right when all I could hear was a high pitched sound I look up at James. He wasn't even looking at me his gaze was stern but at the same time he looked out of it. 'Ass' I think as my mind becomes foggy and my head drops. The whole room blends together before my eyes start to close.