Chapter 4

"How could that possibly make me an angel?" I ask, still trying to figure everything out.

"Angels are fragile as you know, which means we care too much, not just about ourselves but also others too. We are too sensitive for this world. That’s why it makes us angels,’" he says it so softly yet educated. "We deal with other peoples pain like it’s our own and that," he points to his wrist "is how we deal. But you’ll have to learn new ways, like learning how to save the people; stop caring about many people." He finishes, with care in his eyes.

I don’t know what to say. What is there to say? I just stare at him blankly.

"Come with me, Arthur will help you more than I can." He sighs as he stands up, like an old man. Being an angel must not be as easy as it sounds. I follow, my bones popping from sitting for so long.

We leave the room, take two steps down a hallway that seems to go on forever and go into the door on the right. In the room is a table with a recorder and behind the table is two men. One is a tall skinny guy with blonde hair. He looks to be about 24. The other is about the exact opposite, he’s short; pudgy; brown hair and looks about 50. My guess is the short older one is Arthur. I turn to the right and see the room I was just in through this glass wall. Wow, I must be getting arrested, or maybe it’s just a terrible dream.

"Hi Amber, I’m Arthur." The blond haired man says as he puts his hand out. I shake his hand; suddenly remembering something. He was the one that was following me.

"You were the guy that was following me to school" I say.

"Well your memory is great, now isn’t it?" he leans in to my ear "James always goes easier on the pretty girls when he retrieves them than he does on others." He whispers in my ear. I turn around to look at James, but he was gone. I wonder if I will ever see him again. For some reason I want to see him again, could I really have a crush on him already? Well shit. He’s worth it anyways.

"What do you need help with?" Arthur asks, folding his arms over his chest.

"Nothing, can I please see my brothers grave?"

"…Sure. James will take you tomorrow."

I nodded "okay. I would like to go home now."

"I’m sorry, but you’ll have to stay here for a while," he says with sympathy in his voice "James is outside the door, he will help you to your room here."

I turn around and walk out the door, to find James patiently waiting for me to come out.

"Am I walking you home ma’ dam?" he says in an old English accent as he bows, and I start laughing.

"My good sir please take me to my headquarters" I say smiling while mocking the same accent he used. "Thanks for lightening the mood I needed a laugh."

He smiles, "Anytime."

We walk down the hallway and I realize how it’s not so hard to find your way around here, it’s like a school. Beside every door has a plaque with what’s beyond the door on it. I know when we are at my door because it’s the only one that doesn’t have something on it. He unlocks the door and then hands me the key and chain.

"Wear it as a necklace so you can always get in when you need to." James says.

"Thanks." I put the necklace on and walk into my new home, closing the door behind me. They finally put a pillow on the bed at least. How long will I be here? I sit down on my bed. I scoot back so I’m against the wall. I start sobbing. I don’t know what else to do.

There’s a knock on my door. I take about two minutes to try and unlock all the locks through my tears. I open the door and see James standing in the doorway. The second he sees me his whole body seems to fill with worry.

"Amber…" he whispers, while letting the air he must have been holding in.

I run towards him and put my head on his chest. And start sobbing. He stands there holding me tightly in his arms and then starts ushering me to the bed so I can sit down. I curl up into a ball resting my head on his shoulder and he puts his arm around my shoulders. I sob even harder than ever

"I’m... I’m sorry" I say through tears "I’m getting tears and makeup all over your shirt."

"Shh… don’t worry, it’s okay." He turns his head to look me in the eyes. "what’s wrong?" he asks looking concerned.

"I don’t know, I guess all the things I didn’t know." I say slowly calming down. "I feel so alone."

James holds me tighter with the one arm he has around my shoulders, and grabs my hand with his free hand. "But you aren’t." he whispers "you aren’t alone, I’m here for you."

"I bet you say and do this to every girl."

"Believe it or not you’re the only girl that has turned out to be an angel" he says then kisses my forehead. "I care about you’ which is weird because I’ve only known you for a day, but everything feels right when I’m with you." I lean up and kiss him. And for that minute, nothing matters, it’s just me and him. That’s when I realize, I only want it to be me and him.