Chapter Five

Tyler

I hadn't even managed to get all the way back home before my phone buzzed in my pocket. I smiled, knowing sad lonely girl was at it again.

I was feeling terrible because Piper had blown me off, and the feeling of rejection wasn't something I was used to with women.

Women threw themselves at me daily, yet the one that I wanted didn't even want to see me again. I shouldn't even care, there was plenty more to bed, but I found myself only wanting her. And I found the rejection stinging deep as my past wounds opened yet again.

I quickly pulled to the side of the road, pulling my phone out and swiping the screen on. As I read over the text about her first kiss, I thought back to my very first kiss.

It had been before my mom left. Life, while not exactly easy, had been simpler then. I was ecstatic when I leaned in for that kiss and Kelly had returned it. I had expected her to slap me away, but instead she fisted her hands in my hair and pulled me closer. It was the first time I even considered being friendly with a girl, the first time since Nina.

Nina. Don't think about Nina.

It was a week later my mom left. Kelly didn't know what the hell happened when I started to ignore her, but everything was just too hard for me then. I didn't need some silly girl complicating my life more. So I had ignored her. In reality, that was the last thing I should have done.

Sad lonely girl's kiss seemed much more magical than mine had, and I found myself wishing that I had been her first kiss.

It was stupid, because I didn't even know her. For all I knew she was ugly and I wouldn't even want her when I laid eyes on her, but I couldn't help thinking that we had some kind of connection due to the nature of our fucked up lives. I couldn't help thinking that if I ever were to meet her, the attraction would be instantaneous.

I hadn't even said one single word to her, yet I yearned to wrap my arms around her and tell her everything would be okay. That's what I wanted someone to do for me, to assure me that everything would be okay.

I wanted someone to hold me through the night, someone to take the nightmares away. I wanted someone to love me in a way I had never known, someone to show me an ounce of compassion, but I was too damn stubborn to let anyone in to the real me. More so, I was afraid.

Sad lonely girl had let someone in, and look where it got her.

I tucked my phone back in my pocket, pulling back on the street and heading for home. I could only hope that she would text me again. That I would have one more message to read before I tried to sleep. After all, my plan for tonight was now void after receiving that message.

I walked into the penthouse, throwing my keys on the counter and falling across my bed. I pulled my phone back out and swiped to the message thread, re-reading them all.

When I got to the bottom, I noticed a new message. My eyes scanned across the words and I felt my heart break for her.

So her asking him to get her a burger had driven him away? I would gladly buy the girl a hundred burgers. Hell maybe a million. Any fucking time- day or night.

This Jack guy was an idiot. It seemed like she wouldn't allow herself to hate him, so I would do it for her. What an idiot. I didn't understand why she would feel guilty for asking for a burger. It wasn't like it cost too much money.

Maybe it's a good thing Piper doesn't like burgers. Piper... Was it a coincidence that sad lonely girl was talking about this right now? Piper couldn't be her. She couldn't. It just wasn't possible.