Chapter 5

"We need to find a fracture." he says examining the rocks layed out in front of us.

"Is it this one?" i ask holding up the jagged rock knowing i was correct but just playing dumb.

"Yeah." he says smiling.

"Hey Casey I have a question." he says wrinkling his forehead a little.

"I have an answer." i say trying to keep my cool.

"Do you like me?"

I stand up straight from my leaned over position and face Tyler.

"What do you mean by 'like?'"

"Do you like me as a friend?"

"Well yeah"

"Do you like like me?"

"Like would i date you?"

"Yeah would you ever date me?"

I stared into his eyes feeling the pressure increase. My heart pounded in my chest and I felt my arms start to shake.

"Yep" i said. Eventhough I wanted to say so much more that was all I managed to spit out.

"Cool" he said as the smile disappeared from his face.

The bell rang for the class to be over and everyone filed out into the hallway. Everyone was pushing and shoving to get to their lockers.

I followed Tyler out to the sidewalk across the street because he walked home and I ride the bus.

I stopped him on the sidewalk and looked him straight in the eyes remembering something my dad had always told me even though he left when I was 8.

He always said that you only need 7 seconds of courage.

So I took my 7 seconds.

1... I take a deep breath, 2... I look Tyler straight in the eyes, 3... Speak and for the next 4 seconds the words came naturally.

"Tyler, Ive liked you. Loved you since 8th grade. I have wanted you to ask me out for 3 years and you can tell all your friends Im a looser bu-"

Before I can even finish he pulls me in, holds my face and kisses me so gently I barely feel it.

"Will you go to prom with me Casey?" he asks.

"Of course I will!" i exclaim suprised I'm taking this so well.

He leans in and kisses me again.

A warm sensation runs through me.

I look back across the street to the school to see the busses leaving.

" I gotta go." I say as I run back over to the school just barely making my bus.