Chapter 3

3

With friends like this, who needs enemies?

Despite my disastrous night, I got home safely and awoke to realize that I had to face school today. To say I had caused a bit of drama last night was a slight understatement I must admit. But if anyone was going to pay for anything that happened last night, believe me, it was Ashleigh.

My only motive now is revenge.

I walked through the corridor of Alvertross High, wearing nothing more than a pair of tight dark denim high-waisted shorts, and a short baggy lace singlet, I’d also taken the opportunity to show off my new pink wedges. I had to admit, I was hot to trot.

Nothing gave me confidence like the sound of my heels clanking against a solid floor.

I tried to remember the whereabouts of Natasha’s locker. I had a mental image but I couldn’t remember its exact location. After 15 minutes of trailing around the west wing, I finally found it. The baby pink lock was a bit of a giveaway. Like Miss Barbie’s locker would be any other colour.

I stood leaning against her locker, with my hand on my hip, my iPhone in my other hand, constantly checking the time. Yeah, I was late for my first class but no one had seen Natasha arrive yet, and I refused to go anywhere until I had a partner to help carry out my sweet revenge.

After approximately thirty-seven minutes and two trips to a nearby vending machine, she eventually showed up.

Her eyes scrutinized as she walked my way, a smirk slowly creeping up the right side of her mouth. She knew exactly why I was here. Luckily both our faces had remained unscathed from the fight last night.

 “Oh damn! No bruises, not even a black eye.”

Remind me to hit harder next time.

“I have a feeling you aren’t just after a friendly chat.” She said sounding bored and displeased at my last statement, as she pushed past me to get to her locker.

 “Well, she certainly is smarter than she looks.” That was one of my wittier comebacks, even if I do say so myself.

She scowled, but didn’t reply. I guess she didn’t want a repeat of last night’s events. And to be frank, neither did I, really.

“Let’s cut the bitching. We both want the same thing.” I replied confidently, hoping my nerves weren’t showing.

I mean, I might have been a little hasty in assuming that Natasha would even want to help me in my stupid antics, I was probably placed in the centre of her circle of hate. No, despite our fight, I was sure that after last night, Ashleigh had taken my place. I hadn’t seen her this morning. But I suppose my morning had been dedicated to strolling through the corridors trying not to succumb to the endless whispers of gossip, mostly involving me.

“Maybe, but what makes you think I need your help?”

Shit. Is there anything I have against her that I can use? Wait... Of course there is. I leaned in close to her and altered my voice to a low whisper.

“Notice how my voice didn’t go up at the end? I’m not requesting your help. I’m telling you that you’re helping. Let’s just say it would be in your best interests. I mean, unless you want the whole school to know your dirty little secret.”

Her eyes widened in surprise.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She replied, quickly looked down, turned back towards her locker and in a low whisper, almost matching mine, except I could hear fear in her voice. Fear of me. Fear of what I could do to her life.

“The funny thing is... You know exactly what I’m talking about and you know exactly who told me. I bet that makes you want revenge more than ever.”

“She had it coming, I guess.”

I was truly proud of myself, but shocked to say the least, in less than 15 minutes I had managed to persuade, bordering on blackmail, Natasha Sutcliffe.

I couldn’t help but feel like I’d just made a deal with the devil.

Ashleigh didn’t stand a chance.

After Natasha had successfully retrieved all of the books that she needed for Legal Studies from her locker, we walked, side by side to the East building. Legal Studies, what a perfect opportunity to allow the majority of the grade to witness our new formed ‘friendship. We got a few stares as we entered the class, we were late and everyone else had already taken their seats, I could see the confusing on everyone’s faces as they tried to process what had just walked through the door. I didn’t blame them really, I’d be as confused as hell to see us two together if I didn’t know what was going on. Unlucky for everybody else, it was our little secret.

I couldn’t fight the smug look on my face as I could feel Ashleigh’s drilling into my back.

The good thing with rumours is that you don’t really have to know much about a person to make their life hell, just make up something at least a tad believable and you might be able to ruin someone. But when the person you want to ruin used to your best friend, what’s the use making things up?

I knew everything that she didn’t want people to know.