Chapter 1

(Amy's POV)

I was just walking down the hallway in school, minding my own business, when someone slammed me into a locker. "Oh god, sorry. I didn't see you." Someone said. I looked up and a tall girl with straight blond hair stood above me.

"My dumb brother pushed me and, well, you know what happened." She said. "It's okay, I'm Amy by the way." I  answered. "Hi Amy, I'm-" She started. "Stacy, come on!" A male voice called out. "I'm Stacy. I need to go, see ya Amy!" She finished.

I smiled and said, "Bye Stacy!" I don't think she heard me, though. I walked to my locker and just as I got the thing open, the bell rang. "Shiznit." I muttered under my breath. I stuffed books into my bag and slipped a magazine into one of them. I slammed my locker shut and ran to class.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Class had just begun when I burst through the door. So much for not making a fool of myself on the first day. "Class, our new student just made a rather peculiar entrance." The teacher said, eyeing my messy hair bun. "This is Amy Lamb. Would you like to share anything about yourself?" She asked. I took a deep breath and said, "I'm from Atlanta, Georgia. My family owned a horse ranch there before they-" I cut myself off and gulped. "Before my parents died." I finished.

"My Aunt and Uncle took me in and, here I am." The class stared at me blankly. Like they had no feelings. I felt myself blushing as everyone watched me walk to my chair and sit down. "What?" I asked. They all turned their heads toward the teacher as she started teaching about multi-step equations.

When she told us to partner up and start practicing, most of the boys in my class scooted close to me. One of them sniffed the air and smiled, like he was on crack or something. I raised an eyebrow. "You okay?" I asked. "Uh, yeah. I'm just fine." He answered.

His eyes were silvery-gray and his skin was pale. His hair was short and black. I scratched my head and started practicing the stupid questions. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either. Just as I was finishing the third problem, the ever famous bell rang and everyone packed up. I blew air out of my mouth in aggrivation. I got up when my stuff was packed and walked out the door.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I was putting things into my locker at the end of the day when I sensed someone behind me. I turned around and there was the guy who'd sniffed the air around me. "What do you want?" I asked. "Meet me in the woods." He said. I looked out at the dark wooded area and turned back to the guy.

"Fine." I said. "By the way, who are you?" I asked. "I'm Francis, Stacy's big brother." He asnwered. Without another word, he walked away.

There was something strange about him, his accent, the way he talked, and a bunch of other things. But, I slammed my locker shut and followed him out. When I caught up with him asked, "Why do you need to see me in the woods?"

He looked at me with the same emotionless expression I'd gotten this morning in math. "There's no place to talk alone." He answered. I rolled my eyes. There were plenty of places that were private here. At least, there were at my old school.

We walked out of the front doors and proceded toward the woods. The dark cloudy sky told me that it was going to rain. I tried to find my umbrella, but I remembered that I left it at my Aunt's house. Shit.

We reached the woods and he pulled me under a rock that shielded us from being seen. "What are you doing?" I asked. "Just relax," He answered. "This won't hurt a bit, it'll hurt a lot." Before he could do what he was about to do, I heard Stacy call his name.

"FRANCIS! FRANCIS GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE NOW!" He blew out a breath of frustration. "Excuse me." He said. That was when I saw my chance. I stood up and ran quietly through the woods to the bus. 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

When the bus reached my stop, I got off and saw Francis there, waiting for me. "I don't appreciate being ditched, Amy." He said angrily. "I'm sorry, but I was about to miss the bus." I said. He grabbed my arm but I escaped from his grasp.

"I need to get going." I said. I started walking toward my Aunt's house. As I was walking, I walked past some guy's house while he was washing his-was it a dog? I dunno- dog, I guess. As I walked by both of them howled. I smiled and blushed but kept walking.

When I finally reached the front door, I unlocked it and went inside. "Welcome home, Amy." My Uncle called. "If you can even CALL it home." I answered. I threw my stuff on the ground and stomped upstairs.

"Amy, homework is in FIVE MINUTES. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" My Aunt Kara called. "Yup." I called back. I walked to my balcony doors and opened them. I stepped out into the gloom of the cloudy day.

The guy I passed on the way to my Aunt's house stood at the bottom of the balcony. "What are you doing here?" I called to him. "Stuff." He answered. I rolled my eyes and walked back into my room, not thinking about shutting the doors to my balcony.

I put my long, curly, blond hair into a long braid down my back. I took off my school uniform and as I was pulling on some jeans I heard someone whistle from behind me. I turned around (which, I'll admit, was pretty stupid on my part) and saw the same guy standing at the foot of my bed.

I pulled a shirt out of my closet and covered my top half. "Aw, why did you put that shirt on?" He asked. I made a face and pushed him out onto the balcony.

"Pervert." was all I had to say to him. I slammed the doors in his face and waited until I heard a THUD outside. "Holy crap," I said worriedly. I turned around and opened the balcony doors.

He wasn't dead, he was walking just fine toward the gate. My eyes widened but I didn't say anything. I just silently shut the doors and started my homework.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Amy, there's a boy at the door for you!" My uncle called. I groaned. I honestly didn't want to see anyone right now. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I saw none other than Francis standing at the door.