The Scarlet Spirit

November

"Good job today, November!" Rilla said cheerfully as I handed her a plate of toast and collapsed on my bed. The akuma attacks had become more frequent lately and I was barely managing to keep up with my schoolwork and superhero work.

"Thanks, Rilla," I said with a tired smile, sitting back up and munching on some toast of my own. "Remind me to go to bed as soon as I finish my homework tonight, okay?"

"Okay!" Rilla chirped. I patted her head lightly and she giggled. "Let me know if you need any help studying for your history exam tomorrow."

"Shoot!" I yelped, falling onto the floor with a loud thunk! "That test is tomorrow?"

"Mmhmm," Rilla murmured with a mouth full of toast.

"Looks like we'll be up for a while tonight, Rilla," I sighed.

¤~¤

"November! You're going to be late! Get up!" My mother's voice rang through my door. Groaning, I pushed my head off of my desk and grabbed for my phone. It was 7:30.

"Rilla!" I yelped. "Quick! Get up! We're going to be late!"

My little kwami mumbled something sleepily as she rubbed her eyes, rising from my pillow. I rushed around the room, pulling on my knitted blue sweater, some black jeans, and my beaten up Converse. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail quickly and opened a small back pocket of my backpack for Rilla. I grabbed some toast for her and put it in my backpack discreetly before picking up a granola bar from the table for myself.

"Bye, Mom!" I called as I ran out of my apartment. She yelled something back, but I didn't catch it as I shut the door.

I sprinted to the school and managed, somehow, to make it early enough to stop at my locker.

"Where were you?" Noelle said as she and Izzie approached. Izzie was immersed in another book and wasn't paying attention to our conversation.

"Overslept," I yawned, grabbing the textbooks I needed and slamming my locker shut.

"Hey, November!" My friend Diego called from across the hall. He ran over to me with a grin, shoving his phone into his pocket.

Izzie looked up at me as he ran over, winking at me quickly so he wouldn't see. I kicked her shin gently as he walked up next to me.

"Hey, Diego," I said sleepily. "What's up?"

"Did you see the new photos of Nebula, Volaille and Yizhi on the cover of The New York Times this morning?" He asked excitedly, running a hand through his dark, curly hair.

"I didn't," I said, shrugging. "Why wasn't Chat Noir on the cover?"

"Well," Diego said, pulling out his phone excitedly, "there was a live interview with the four of them yesterday, and Chat said that he was actually from Paris and that he'd be returning there again soon. I looked it up! Apparently, he works with another superhero there called Ladybug. There was this super awesome blog that I found called the Ladyblog, and the girl who runs the blog had vlogged all of the akuma attacks from Paris and put them on there! I got in contact with the runner of the blog, her name is Alya by the way and she's our age, and I sent her some of the links to the articles about Nebula and them. She was so excited!"

"Wow, okay, breathe," I joked. "That's way cool, Diego!"

"I know!" He said. "Anyways, I better get to class. See you in history! Oh, and good luck on the test," Diego said, patting my shoulder. "Bye Noelle, Izzie." He headed down the hall quickly.