A kiss

I exited the main building of the school, and saw Riley waiting for me near the school courtyard. She looked perfect, standing in her overalls with her dark brown hair flowing in the wind. Connie hadn't won this time that was for sure, Riley was perfect and Connie was never going to bully her again, I wouldn't allow it.

I saw Riley smiling as she saw me approach her, and she turned to face me. Her olive skin shone perfectly in the sunlight, and her body was perfect; as womanly as any man could dream a woman to have, no skin or bones there with a perfect personality to boot as well.

"Sorry, I guess I wondered if you were going to stand me up. I just always fear the worst in any situation." Riley said giggling, as she walked alongside me quite closely against my arms.

"You don't ever have to fear me showing you up, you're my friend. I told you once, I keep my promises." I said smiling as we walked the same route as on the first day we met to Riley's house. We walked together, and eventually I brought up Connie as a talking topic.

"Tell me, what did happen between you and Connie? I just have to know, why it got so nasty between you both." I said as we passed through a park, that was on the route to Riley's house.

Riley looked as if she was thinking of what to tell me, about her and Connie's relationship.

"We were once friends, we had been friends since Pre-School and went through school together. About two years ago, we fell out. It wasn't the fact that Connie became a cheerleader, it was the fact that we both liked the same boy. He was a foreign-exchange student from Puerto Rico, and we both liked him. His name was Hector, and we both really liked him. But she claimed she didn't like him, and told me that I was free to ask him out. When I was about to ask him out in the canteen, she beat me to it and asked him out. He said yes, and they began to date. It should have ended there, both of us going out separate ways but she became nasty. She said I was ugly, and that no one not even Hector would have asked me out. I guess I believed she was right, because no one has been interested in me. Hector left the school soon after." Riley told the story to me, and I found myself hating Connie even more than before I knew the whole story to her and Connie's relationship.

"The more I hear about that bitch Connie, the more I fucking hate her." I said as we passed through the park, and crossed a street.

I knew we were only a few more streets away from Riley's house.

"She said no one would ever like me, that I was ugly and fat." Riley said looking away from me, as if she actually believed Connie in some way.

"Hey, you're not ugly nor fat. You're a woman, you've got a woman's body. You're not skin and bones, but that's a good thing. You're a healthy woman." I said smiling.

Riley smiled slightly, but still seemed unsure.

"Well forget everything that bitch has ever said to you, it's all lies and bullshit." I said. Riley laughed, and gently nudged me in my arm with her own as we turned a corner.

We walked down the street, and stopped outside the garden fence of Riley's house.

"God, how did I ever meet a good friend like you? Seriously, you just won't stand for anything from Connie, or any bullies. I don't have that confidence." Riley said grinning.

"Just lots of experiences in my life." I said smiling as we looked at each other.

Riley just stared into my eyes, and smiled gently.

"You're an amazing man, James. I just wanted to thank you, for being there for me today. I would have given into those feelings, and taken those pills I think. I don't want to lose our friendship, I want to see where our lives go." Riley said, and without warning she leaned in and pressed her lips against my cheek, but I moved slightly and her lips moved onto my own and there they stayed for a few seconds. She pulled away, and her face was a mix of surprise and shock.

"I'm sorry, James. I shouldn't have done that, I don't know why I even kissed you on the cheek." She said stammering her words, and leaning against the gate on her garden fence.

She was fearful of the consequences of that innocent kiss, and she turned and quickly shoved open the gate.

"Riley, wait--." I started to speak when Riley spoke over me.

"I'm sorry, James. I'm really sorry." She said walking quickly up the path to her front door, and stepped inside looking at me once more before the door shut behind her.

I didn't even have the time to tell her that it was just an innocent kiss on my cheek, to thank me and that there was nothing more to it. The bad thing was it was Friday, and we both had the weekend to over-think what had just happened between us both. I had her phone number, as she had mine; I wanted to tell her that this was not a big deal.

I slowly made my way home, but not before I looked back and could have sworn I saw Riley watching me from the top floor window, of her bedroom. This would take some explaining, because I didn't want to lose Riley as my friend. I cared too much about her, for that to happen.

A/N Broke this section into a smaller part. The rest will be up soon.