The aftermath

It was Monday morning, and since Friday just gone past; Riley had kissed me after I walked her home that day from school. Since that moment, it was Riley who tried to contact me about that incident. She had tried to call me through most of Saturday, and most of this morning and also text me often trying to get me to talk to her. Eventually just an hour ago, I had text her and told her that everything was fine between us and that the kiss was nothing to be upset about. I took it in my stride, and put it down to us both being over-emotional at the moment it happened.

Riley seemed happy, I hadn't read into what had happened between us any more than that of being emotional. We talked for a bit, and then agreed to meet outside the school tomorrow morning, and walk to class together. But I told her, that I would meet her at her house and walk her to school. She was surprised, but happy at the idea and agreed. So that was it, the next morning I would pick Riley up from her house on my way to school.

With a clean shirt, and my denim jeans, boots and my bag I made my way to Riley's to pick her up. I turned the corner, and saw the front garden of Riley's house. I could see her mother was outside, collecting the mail from the mail box. She was pretty, like her daughter; I could see where her looks came from. She had olive skin like her daughter, and a lovely figure hidden beneath a summer flower dress.

"Mrs Winters?" I called her.

"Yes, who are you?" She asked in a neutral tone, probably wondering how I knew her name.

"I'm James, a friend of Riley's from school. I told her I'd come and pick her up, and walk her to school today." I said smiling gently.

Riley's mother smiled.

"Ah yes she's told me all about you, come in. She's just getting ready, I'm Jane." She said smiling, as she turned around to lead me into the house.

I nodded and followed Mrs Winters inside, and she closed the door behind us.

"Please come and sit, I'll pour you some orange juice while you wait." She said.

I nodded, and saw the spacious kitchen and large Oak dining table in the centre. I sat down in an empty chair, as Mrs Winters brought over a jug of orange juice and poured me some into a glass.

"Riley speaks a lot about you, it's nice to finally meet you James. She says your Scottish?" Mrs Winters asked me.

"Yes, I'm originally from Scotland. I lived in London for a bit, before moving to the US." I said taking a mouthful of the orange juice.

"That's amazing, and I love your accent." She said smiling, as we waited for Riley.

"Thank you." I said, and speaking only made Mrs Winters giggle as if she was in the presence of Elvis Presley or someone else famous.

We talked about a few things, from my Clan in Scotland which I only knew the name of; Anderson. They were one of the original Clans in Scotland, one of the original Clans to sail over from Ireland and control regions of the country. Jane seemed to love hearing me speak about it, especially in my accent. Eventually Riley came downstairs, I heard her even from the kitchen and turned to look out of the kitchen to the staircase.

She was wearing her denim overalls again, with another orange top beneath it and they stopped just below her knees. She had red and blue stripped knee socks, and her sneakers once again. She was carrying her bag of books, and I was surprised to see how fucking beautiful she was.

Her olive skin shone in the light from the windows, and her dark hair blew around her face as she ran down the stairs.

"Riley, honey. James is here." Jane said pointing to me with her cup of coffee.