Chapter 3: Talent

My mind wasn't in the conversation. As Jason talked, his last words drifted off, as I started imagining our future. 

First, the most popular boyfriend/girlfriend couple in school. Students would whisper about how previously unpopular Jewel Rose (lovely name, I know) has just gotten involved with the most popular, nicest, hottest guy in school!

Then, fiance. Bit by bit, we bring the bar higher, as people wonder if we'll make it to...

Marriage! Husband and wife! Kayla would be so mad...

"Thanks for showing me the way here." Jason said. I blinked, my brain realizing... that's all he wanted to say?

"I really appreciate it." he said, and leaned back in his chair.

"Uh... no problem..." I stuttered. I'll win his heart someday... 

In gym class, Jason made it clear that he lived for sports. We were playing basketball, and I rarely made a shot, while I noticed he dunked every single one. Which was a lot.

He played happily with his friends, who were also talented, but definitely not his level. They knew this and complimented him. 

Of course, perfect Jason was modest, too- he denied that he was any good at it. 

Meanwhile, I didn't even glance at the hoop. My eyes were focused on Jason's every move, and it didn't go unnoticed. Some of my friends (including Kayla) had tried to get me to play again, but after realizing their attempts were futile, they just teased me.

"Aww, that's cute."

"Jewel and Jason, sitting in a tree..." one began.

"Really? That old song?" 

"What? It's fitting, and catchy!"

"Oh... whatever!"

They all sang: "Jewel and Jason, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G..." 

Others joined in, and soon half the class was singing.

Suddenly, Jason heard and looked behind him, and our eyes connected. He smiled a little, and I tried to, but I was kind of in a daze.

"Then comes the baby in the baby carriage!" My friends finished, laughing their heads off.

I sighed. I'm going to get that guy, no matter what! I promised myself.