Chapter 6: Kayla

"Umm... 1?" I guessed.

Ms. Ollens frowned. "Not even close."

It was second period, and I was stuck in math with my annoying math teacher. I hadn't seen Jason yet, and I was starting to think he was absent.

"So, the answer would be 4077.3." Ms. Ollens finished the math problem on the board. "Now, Jewel? I would like to know how you got an answer of 1 for this problem." she said.

Uh oh. "Umm, well, I just-" 

"Guessed?" Ms. Ollens finished for me.

"Uh, yeah." I confessed. Ms. Ollens sighed.

"Were you even paying attention?" she asked. I shrugged.

Bad answer. 

"You will be serving detention with me this afternoon then, Ms. Rose."

No! I was planning on seeing Jason this afternoon to help him with Spanish. I knew that he needed help with it, because I overheard him telling his friends on Monday.. But I hadn't actually asked him yet... though he was probably absent anyway.

"Yes, Ma'am..." I mumbled.

"Very well. Now, who can tell me the answer to this next problem..."

At lunch, I sat with Kayla. We were talking about our day and of course, Jason.

"I haven't seen him yet. I think he's absent today." I told her.

She took a bite of pasta. Suddenly she frowned.

"No, he can't be. I saw him at his locker earlier." she said. I perked up.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm positive." she answered confidently.

After lunch, I stood next to Jason's locker, hoping to find him to ask him about helping him with Spanish. I tapped my foot on the ground impatiently. Where was he?

Suddenly, he came. I felt my heart jump...

But he ignored me. Why, you might ask?

It was because Kayla strode happily beside him.