Chapter 7: Competition

Of course, right then, I couldn't say anything to Kayla while Jason was there, so I just glared the angriest glare I could manage. Why, that little-

"Oh, hey Jewel." Jason said, practically sang in his beautiful voice.

I was torn between revenge and anger at Kayla, and my love for Jason.

So for a second, I just kind of stood there.

"Umm, Jewel, are you ok?" Kayla asked. 

"Oh... uh fine. Hey Jason." I said. 

Ok, Jewel, keep a cool head. Boys like shy girls, so be quiet and polite. If you yell at Kayla now, then your relationship with Jason is lost, and that's what she wants. I thought to myself.

I took a deep breath.

"So... uh Jason, can I ask you something? Sorry Kayla... just give us a minute." I said in the cutest voice I could manage.

Jason smiled, and Kayla frowned.

"Sure! See ya, Kayla!" Jason said.

"Bye, Jason!" Kayla answered, and walked away. 

Jason leaned in a little bit. Ohhhhh, everything from his breath to his outfit was perfect. A dazed state tried to take me over, but I fought it for Jason.

"So... um, do you need help with Spanish?" I asked him.

He smiled. Why did he have to smile so much? Every single one seemed to give me a heart attack. And every lovesick heart attack screamed at me to kiss him right then and there.

"Yeah. I'm not doing too well, to be honest. Why?" he asked.

"Well, I... I was hoping... that I could maybe... I know it's dumb, but... y'know... tutor you?" I asked. Spanish was the only thing I was really good at, and it was my only chance of getting him to hang out with me.

Say yes, say yes, say yes...

"Oh, sure!" he said. "That would be great! When should we meet?"

"How about Wednesday after school?" I asked.

"Ok, sounds good!" he said.

He pulled away, and walked across the hallway as if in slow motion. I finally let the 'love daze' take me over, as I stumbled to Math.

That was, until I turned the corner, and saw Kayla standing there with her arms crossed.

"We need to talk."