Chapter 5

The castle....is under....attack.

"Evelyn!"  Those amber eyes burned into her. Seventh's voice went from an assertive tone to one of pleading. Evelyn was stunned. Seventh had taken to rushing around her room grabbing a pair of boots and her dress from the night before.

"What do you mean?" She asked. She was stood up now, and rushed over to the door - not caring she was only in her night gown- to see if what he said was true. Before she reached it Seventh had grabbed her elbow and just shook his head, warning her not to. She noticed now that he looked different from normal.

There was Kingsguard Seventh, Stoic and calm. Then there was human Seventh, somewhat relaxed and calm. Then there was this Seventh. She had never seen this one before. He was calculating and wild. She could see it in his eyes. He too was wearing leathers, strapped with various knives and swords. She could see the specks of not-quite-dry blood on some. He wore a close-fitted black shirt and an equally dark hooded jacket with a hood. There was shoulder armour built into it. This Seventh was ready to fight. This was the Seventh that had caught the eye of the King. There was nothing calm about this Seventh.

"One of the Lords have betrayed the crown. We need to get you out of here until things calm down." Evelyn was now looking at the dress from the night before. It wasn't really practical for running from an attack.

"I'm sure my nightgown would be more practical," she told Seventh.

"There are hundreds of men currently attacking the castle, I will fight to get you out of here but if we get separated and they see you barely clothed..." he trailed off for a moment "and outside the castle walls there are men worse" he said the last part knowing it would remind her of how horrible men could be.

He walked over to her and knelt beside her. Unsheathing a dagger he cut most of the layers of puff off. She had no petticoats on now so the dress wasn't as ridiculous as the night before. He also cut the dress to her knee so she could run if necessary. He stood and looked her in the eyes. His amber ones looked commanding.

"Stick close to me. If we are attacked, still stick close by but go to a wall and put your back against it. If you are separated from me stay put. If you are caught by anyone scream. If you can't scream," he handed her a dagger "use this. It is only a last resort, though. If your attacker is armoured then aim for the underarm. That's where the armour is weakest." He silenced and she nodded.

"Are you ready, Princess?" He inclined his head and she nodded. "Then let's go!"

Seventh grabbed her hand and pulled her to the door. As he opened it she saw the scorched carpet. Someone had set fire to her chambers. Was she the target? Making her way through the chamber she started to hear the war cries and cries of pain. Women were screaming and children were crying. Who would do something like this?

Once outside her chambers, she saw the scorched carpets again. Seventh let go of her hand and straightened up. His nostrils flared and he said,

"This way," before running right. They encountered several of the rebels on the third corridor they took. Evelyn couldn't make out who's house they served. she pressed her back against the wall. They didn't recognise Seventh - how could they? - so they were unpleasantly surprised when one lunged forward. Seventh sidestepped the sword easily before running his sword straight through the man's throat.

The second man tried to be smart and feinted left before lunging right. Seventh crouched and swung a leg, tripping the man who in turn fell on Seventh's sword. At this point, the other man had run in the opposite direction. Seventh pulled one of six kunai from its sheath on the side of his back and threw it at the man. It landed in his back and the man fell to the ground with a yelp. Evelyn was too shocked to think about how easily Seventh could take a life.