Chapter 6

The sound of splashing woke Evelyn. She groggily opened her eyes and sat up, slightly confused. It took her a moment to take in her wet skirts and the dingy cave. Then she remembered where she was and why she was there and what had happened last night.  Seventh came around the corner from the entrance and looked at Evelyn. He looked so very different without his armour. He looked younger and more friendly. This Seventh wasn't a stiff.

He had a bag strapped around his back. Evelyn saw no weapons but she knew they were there. He wore the same clothes as last night - his black leathers. There was something different about his face. He looked fresher and newer, and Evelyn had a hunch that Seventh was happy to be out of the castle. But why? In all the time that Evelyn had known Seventh - and she couldn't really say she knew him very well - he had never seemed to be thrilled about being Kingsguard. He relished in being able to remove his helm, he didn't mind talking to Evelyn, and whenever possible he would help her when he could. Strictly speaking, Seventh should have been dismissed and executed years ago. Evelyn never understood how he came to be Kingsguard.

"Princess, did you sleep okay? All considering of course" he asked her. He came and sat down next to her, pulling some bread and meat from the bundle and passing it to her. Evelyn just looked at the food.

"Surprisingly well," Evelyn said.  It was all she could make out before she started crying. Her stomach felt like someone had punched her hard. She was winded and breathing became difficult. She knew why. Her mother. She was so selfish, she had forgotten about her mother. How could she sleep so well after witnessing what happened to her? Tears streaked down her face and Seventh just stared at her, unsure of what to do. In the end, he settled on the only way of comfort he knew - placing a hand on her shoulder. That familiar warmth Evelyn had come to associate with Seventh soothed her and filled her with calm. It didn't erase the raw emotions, though. The feelings of devastation and loss. Evelyn folded into Sevenths chest. He froze in place, barely even breathing. Seventh remained so for a moment before pushing Evelyn back to look him in the face.

"I know your hurting, but we need to pull it together, just until we find somewhere safe. I promise you tonight you will be free to mourn, but the king's men are closing in fast. You need to pull it together. I need you to pull it together." he pleaded with her. Evelyn nodded and rubbed her face with her sleeve. Sevenths eyes dropped in relief

"The Kings men? Won't they help us?" Evelyn asked him. Her voice was shaky and tears still slowly made their way down her face, but it was the best she could do. Sevenths eyes rose again. A look of sorrow in them. The sorrow soon left and he looked more quizzical - pondering over what to say.

"I don't think it's in our best interest to trust anyone just yet. We don't yet know who attacked last night or who is loyal - It may have been some of the king's men who were compromised by the perpetrator." He was hiding something. Evelyn knew he was. But so was she. She decided to trust Seventh. All of this was her fault and Seventh had never failed her before, he would get them out of this mess. Again, Evelyn simply nodded.

"Then where do we go?" Evelyn asked.

"Hunters Forge." Seventh said. He turned to pull more bread and meat from the bag. Evelyn had heard of the town. It was full of criminals and bandits. It was a centre for black market trading. It was infamous for being such a hive for criminal activity despite being located in the shadows of castle Faircrest - it wasn't even a day's travel away.

"It's a hotspot for criminals, though! The perpetrator could be there."

"That's why it is the perfect place to go." Seventh replied with a hint of smugness. Smugness. Seventh was being smug.  Evelyn didn't reply, she just squinted slightly, urging him to explain.