chapter twelve

My mind couldn't process what was happening at the moment. I was genuinely confused as to how this was playing out. Lucy was here? She played softball anyways, so the fact that she was here gave me a lot of questions.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "You don't play soccer anymore..."

"I could say the same about you," she responded bitterly.

I widened my eyes at her tone and looked at Calum. "Can you give us a minute?"

"Of course," he said, relieved to not have to be in the middle of things.

"You're seriously not holding this against me too, are you?" I scolded her.

"You broke moms heart, Ket," she said.

I scoffed at her comment. "You're joking right? I broke her heart?"

"I don't know about you Keturah, but if my child were to run away after claiming a parent is being unreasonable, I wouldn't be so happy either."

Realization set in and my body became numb with both sadness and anger. Tears prickled my eyes as I looked at Lucy's stone hard face. "She told you that was what happened?" I choked out.

Lucy's expression changed to confused.   I covered my mouth in case of any kind of sob that were to come out. I took a deep breath and nodded. I needed to except that my parents would never be happy with the fact that I was doing something they didn't love.

"Ket, that's not what happened, is it?" she asked softly.

I shook my head as realization set in for Lucy. She covered her mouth now too. "She told you I ran away?"

"It didn't make sense. I know that's not something you would do, but she called me sobbing that night and told me you two got in a fight. She said you wanted to play music and you were dead set. When she tried to talk to you about how much time you put into soccer, you freaked out. You supposedly told her that she was being unreasonable and whatever.. It was so, so not you."

"I can't believe her!" I clenched my
jaw. Tears fell down my face. Lucy pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back.

"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you about it... She told me you didn't want to talk to any of us again," she said softly.

"What is wrong with her?" I scoffed. "She kicked me out! She left me on the porch with nothing but my clothes. She knew I didn't have a job or a place to go.. how could she do that?"

"We both know mom has always been a control freak and when she doesn't get her way she becomes a child," Lucy said.

"Yeah," I sighed.

"So what are you doing here if you don't play anymore?" She asked.

"I'm actually on a world tour," I explained.

"You're wha- A world tour with who?"

I realized that we had a lot of catching up to do. She didn't even know my band mates. They were my best friends and she had no clue who they were. It was weird and uncomfortable to be with her after so long, but we needed to start somewhere.

"Ever heard of 5 Seconds Of Summer?"

--------------

Lucy and I talked for two hours until we had to head back to the hotel. I told her I would call her later and catch up. It was fairly late when we got back to. It was pretty cold and ready to sit in my bed and bundle up. As I sat in bed, Calum texted me wanting to know if we could still hang out. After confirming, he soon showed up to my room.

"I'm a little bitter that I had to get up to answer the door," I said as I walked over to the bed again and sat back down.

"I mean that's the least you can do since I'm paying for your food tonight," he responded.

"Works for me, I guess," I chuckled. I tucked my feet under the blanket and hugged my knees.

"Is everything okay with your sister?" He asked. "You don't have to give me details if you don't want to. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Oh, yeah," I nodded. "We worked everything out."

"Good," he nodded.

"Also, I'm going to be sore tomorrow. I haven't played soccer like that in a really long time," I sighed in shame.

"Trust me, me too," he agreed. "What kind of food do you want?"

"Surprise me," I shrugged. "I'm not really picky."

It was nice having a new friendship spark. I realized that Calum and I shared the same common interests. We weren't very similar, but when I came to the things that we liked, there were many things we agreed on. Our music tastes were almost identical, our views on Netflix shows were the same, we both agreed that Will Ferrel and Chad Smith are long lost brothers, and we both loved to drowned out free time in staying inside, especially on a rainy day.

I liked the bonding that we went through. It was so easy to lose myself in a conversation with him and feel like I was back in English sitting next to him, wondering how he viewed the world from a place that everyone looked up to. I still felt the same way at times, but Calum made everyone feel like they were just as special. The look in his eyes makes you feel like you're worth millions and that was the best thing I could as for in a friend at the moment.