chapter one

Truthfully, I had no freaking idea what would come out of tonights show. I was sick, tired, and in need of some time off, but the boys pushed this show like it would be the last of their career. I just went along considering I really didn't have a choice since I was outvoted. 

The dressing room was full of dust and trash, after all, it was only a bar we were at. I messed with my wristband that so outwardly told everyone I was under the age of 21 and wished that I could rip it off. I hated the material of the wristband and I hated that it was just another label put on me.  I had to continue to remind myself at times like these that this was what I wanted. This was my true dream and no matter how sick I was or how tired I was, being on stage to sing was something I could not compare to anything, not even a soccer game.

-- JUNIOR YR; THREE YEARS AGO --

I sat down on the bench, ready for practice. I looked around at all the girls who were talking to each other. It wasn't that they were mean, rude, or excluding, I was just more introverted. Trying to talk to anyone was exhausting when I had nothing to say to them. I had nothing to say at all really. I was on this team because I was an amazing soccer player. I humbly say that only because it's true. I was great. I started at four years old and I continuously showed each coach that I was quick and smart. I played well with others and I was just over all good at the game. It ran in my family of athletes. It was always normal for the Morris's to be good at something.

My older sister, Lucy Morris, was known for being an amazing softball player. She played soccer as well, but her heart drifted over to softball. My parents were thrilled when she got a scholarship to the University of California Los Angeles, the third highest ranked college for division one softball. 

"Calum Hood, I'm sure you've figured out already that this is the varsity girls soccer practice," Coach Wolf yelled as he walked up to the team. I looked over to see the schools athletic star pulling his face away from Darcy Wising, the captain of the girls varsity soccer team. I never had an issue with Darcy, she was an amazing player and seemed extremely nice, but she was my competition when it came to being captain. I had a strong feeling that she only one because of her popularity at the school. She was queen of Rowland High School, given that she was extremely smart, nice, and beautiful. I had to admit that she had it going for her.

"Of course coach, I was only here to cheer on the team. You can never use too much encouragement," he explained.

I rolled my eyes at his stupid comment, but couldn't help but smile.

"That's what games are for, Hood. The exit to the field is just ahead, I suggest you use it," coach demanded.

"Yes coach," he smiled. "See you tomorrow."

I watched as the beautiful boy walked off the field, never to notice me.

The next day I walked in to my pre-calc class and sat at the front of the room. I began pulling out my books, ready for the class to start, when the teacher walked up to me with a serious look on her face.

"Ket?" The teacher cleared her throat.

"Yes Mrs. Reign?" I looked up at her.

"The guidance counselor would like to see you," she explained. "Take your things with you."

I nodded and stood from my desk. Anything in order to get me out of that class. I walked down the hall towards the front office and when I opened it up, the front deskman greeted me. I pointed towards my councilors office and he nodded.

The door was already wide open, so I stood in the doorway and knocked on the door.

"Yes, Keturah Morris, come in," the woman smiled.