Chapter Seventeen.

Westlyn

It's been seven days since Mom died.

Four days since the funeral.

And I should be leaving in three weeks.

I lay awake at night thinking about all of this. About the time that has passed so slowly but also at lightning speed. About the things Mom will miss and the week that has already passed without her.

I think about Laney and Peyton never figuring out their relationship and it sort of hurts me. I want Peyton to have a mom. To have someone to share her secrets and fears with.

I want to stay and be that person for her but I know that is just a silly dream that I think about in the darkness as I lay wrapped up in Finn's arms.

A crash startles both Finn and I. Finn wakes up with a jolt. It takes a second for my eyes to readjust to the darkness, another loud noise comes from outside the door and has Peyton screaming from her bedroom.

Finn and I look at each other and both jump out of bed. He opens the door to his room slowly, unsure of what could be outside, but we should have known all along that it's just Maddy.

Maddy is a tumbling, giggling mess of a drunk as she topples over the couch and onto the floor, "hey guys," she slurs.

The bathroom door opens to reveal Connor, Maddy's on and off again thing. I don't even know what to call him. He is smiling at me and then looks at Maddy who is still on the floor laughing to herself.

"Get the hell up, Maddy," Finn says his voice a harsh whisper. He points towards Connor, fire burning in his blue eyes, "and you get the hell out."

"Fuck off, Finn. He can be here just like Westlyn can be here." She says my name like she doesn't know who I am. Like I'm some random girl Finn brought home. Maddy doesn't even make eye contact with me. I guess that could be the alcohol but it still doesn't feel great.

"Maddy," Finn pleads with her and Connor looks on dumbly. He looks at each of us then pulls Maddy to his chest and kisses her head. He is toying with Finn, he is trying to start something here.

"Okay, Finn just relax," I say grabbing his hand and attempting to control the anger I can see pulsing through his body.

"Why don't you guys go downstairs?" I ask Maddy. I'm trying to reason with her. But it seems like she is enjoying the show just as much as Connor is.

She smiles at me and then sort of laughs. It's this cross between a giggle and full out hysterics, "Westlyn isn't it funny how Finn's been lying to you this whole time about how our parents are dead when your parent actually died?"

My heart seems to slow down and speed up at the same time. That feeling when you can feel every single beat. Where you can almost feel the blood pumping throughout your body, the warmth mixing with the coolness as I wait for her words to sink in.

She is waiting for her words to sink in too, "You are so forgiving, West, I don't know if I could be that forgiving if I'd been lied to like that."

Peyton cries again from the other room. Finn looks from my wide eyes to the closed door of her bedroom and walks towards P. The way he always has to go. And my chest hurts and my brain hurts and I want to rip Maddy's blonde hair out of her head and throw her down the staircase.

But I don't.

I stand in the same spot and I watch Maddy watch me.

We are at a stand-off.