Chapter 2: Talking for Two

"Oh, for the love of all that is holy, please just shut up!" a feminine voice shouted from above Jak and his newly-transformed friend.

Jak's head whipped around, trying to find the source of the voice. He couldn't see anyone.

"It's almost like you're talking for two people or something!" the voice continued. "I mean, I haven't heard Blondie over here say a word, so you might be. But please, just have some common courtesy, will ya?"

Jak's eyes landed on the source of the voice. They hadn't noticed, but next to the pool there was a balcony made of wood. Standing on the balcony with her back to the pair of boys was a person. They were wearing a black cloak that reached their feet and a hood over her head. It was hard for people to see them. Maybe that's the point, Jak thought.

The person on the balcony crouched, then jumped. A split-second later, they landed next to Jak, startling him. They turned to face him. They wore a mask over their face. It was black with red eyes where the eyes should be. There was a realistic open mouth with fangs dripping with fake saliva. Combined with the cloak and hood, it gave the person a freakish image.

They moved their face up close to Jak's, looking him up and down. They brought up a gloved hand and touched his hair. Then the same voice spoke from behind the mask. "You're not... a Lurker!"

The figure stood up straight and pulled off the hood they wore. Jak saw black hair, choppy and short. Then the figure took off their mask, revealing big blue eyes and a ski-jump nose dotted with freckles. It was a girl, about the same age as Jak.

Jak stared at her, still kind of nervous, as she unbuttoned her cloak and skid it off her shoulders. She folded it up with care and placed it in a peach shoulder bag hanging across her body. She put her mask in it too. =

"Whoa!" the rat behind the girl said. "Hot!" She was admittedly dressed rather provocatively, with a grey sleeveless top and a shortish pair of pants. She also wore thigh-high socks and khaki combat boots.

The girl whipped around, glaring at the orange creature. She charged at it, picked it up by the tail, and jumped, throwing it hard into the air. Its screams faded as it flew into the air. Jak watched it fly away until he couldn't see it anymore.

"So!" the girl said, turning back to Jak and smiling calmly. "What's your name?"

Jak took a step back, scared and worried. He stuttered, wondering how to tell her he was a mute.

"Not much of a talker, huh?" She grinned, showing off perfectly white teeth, slightly crooked. "That's fine! I'm Thalia, nice to meet you!" She extended her hand, which was still covered in the black leather gloves.

Jak stared at the hand, still slightly wary of the girl. Then a screaming sound reached his ears, getting louder. It was succeeded by a loud thump - the sound of his friend hitting the ground.

"Oh, good! The annoying talking one!" Thalia clapped her hands together and turned. "Tell me, little rat, what's the guy's name?"

"J... Jak..." the rat mumbled, his face muffled by the ground he'd faceplanted on.

"Jak?" Thalia turned to Jak, who nodded assent. Thalia smiled. "Cool. What's the rat's name?"

"I'm Daxter." The rat stood shakily. "Formerly a dashing hero, newly transformed into an orange ferret!"

"Great." Thalia was uninterested. Then she seemed to remember something. "Oh! That reminds me! There's someone I have to introduce you to!" Thalia crouched and jumped back to the balcony, then jumped away.