10. You Said Never

Alistair marched furiously towards Monica's office, throwing open the doors and glaring around the room until he spotted her over by the window, phone in hand. She seemed kind as she chatted into it, making some sort of deal, clearly, yet her pleasantness was gone the moment she hung up, and the homicidal look she traded with him proved that his own fury might not be the most potent in the room. Any average person would take one look at her and flee, but Alistair was anything but common, and he approached her hostilely nevertheless.

"Is this a test? You're testing me aren't you? Well to hell with that, I'm not your lackey, you will find that I don't roll over so easy. My apologies if you feel that I'm not trustworthy, but that doesn't make you any better than me in this partnership. Really, how dare you! You didn't consult me when you sent the super soldiers out last time, I financed this project, remember? As soon as we're through here I have half a mind to call a meeting with the shareholders, cut my losses and take what I can-the serum is half mine after all. Or maybe I'll have words with your boss, Vorne." He breathed heavily when he was finished ranting, watching her.

"Your resentment is delicious. I just finished speaking with the press, it seems the Monica Wright Foundation's optics are through the roof-what with the volunteer outreach we've been doing to help those affected by all the recent attacks. Sit down, calm yourself before you faint. Do you think this situation is good for me? No, it isn't, I sent the super soldiers out because Stephanie got word that Toby and his gang of miscreants were planning an attack. I simply had to do something." Monica used the reflection of the window to straighten her pointy shoulder pads.

"You need to consult me. I'm serious this time, no more games, I will pull out of this contract if you don't start treating me with some respect." He spat. "A lot of good it did you anyway, you still failed."

"Don't you think I know that?" She snapped, turning to look at him. "That's the problem isn't it? I suppose it wouldn't really matter if you ran off and tattled to mother at this point, I'm stunted as it is, cut off at the knees. God, it's a repeat of last year all over again. I put so much work into engineering the perfect weapon, and things were going great-Toby and his friends don't stand a chance against my super soldiers, but with the addition of Angel it's just too much for my creations to handle."

"Oh boohoo, am I to feel bad for you now? Should I console you and tell you it will get better? Wake up! You reached a little too high in your psychopathic stampede to the top, it's your own fault. I'm not interested in your little power struggle. I went in with you for one reason and one reason only; to make money. My sizable investment will be lost if you send the super soldiers into combat on a whim. Consult me!" Again Alistair prattled on, not satisfied with his wrath and feeling the compulsive need to carry on.

"Fine, just for the love of all that is holy stop bleating at me, you're making my ears bleed." With a flutter of her hand she assuaged him, sighing deeply and placing her head in her hands. Indeed she was quite upset at being halted, by her own calculations she should've already made a play for the top spot. If everything had went the way it was supposed to, she had hoped she would've taken out the boss by now. "We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Angel hadn't come to town, it's her fault, she's to blame."

"Don't go blaming your failures elsewhere just because you can't accept your own shortcomings." He warned her, feeling defensive of the woman in question.

"Well, neither of those things will hold true for long anyway. In only a matter of time I will have succeeded at neutralizing Angel, she won't be a thorn in my side any longer." Now Monica smiled, trusting that her newest employee would successfully lead her old ones to victory. Alistair could only begin to imagine her meaning, but he understood that it was not something that would be good for Angel, and he knew that there was nothing he could do to stop it now. All that was left for him was the sickening feeling in his stomach as he tried to figure out what that might be.