Chapter 35

Oliver and his friends hung around Motorville for the day after hearing the news. Oliver still couldn't quite believe it. He was going to put in the system and have to move away from Motorville! He couldn't leave! He had too many friends here and he'd hate to leave the home where he lived with his mother.

While Miss Leila was taking care of the legal business, Oliver got to know Melody, who seemed to be nothing like Abyssa, even though they looked exactly alike and appeared to be soul mates. She was working at the Milk Bar to help her parents pay the mortgage. She had a boyfriend named Grant, who had been sick for a while, and she was helping his brother Sam and their family earn a little money for medicine. She apparently had never stolen a thing in her life, and was not a very strong person.

"Maybe she isn't my soul mate after all." Abyssa muttered, a little sadly. "All we've got to go by is looks." Swaine shook his head.

"She's practically your twin! Either you're soul mates, or long lost sisters!" He told her, giving her a light punch on the shoulder, making her smile and punch him back. Then Miss Leila came over to Oliver.

"Oliver, honey? You'd best head to bed, dear. You can stay in the apartment upstairs if you like." His face turned red as he spoke.

"Oh, n-no thank you Miss Leila. I-I'm staying with an old f-friend of my mother's." he stammered. She looked at him curiously.

"Who is this friend, Oliver?" She asked suspiciously. "How well do you know them?" Oliver's eyes widened. Abyssa leaned in and whispered in his ear.

"Her name is... Harmony." Oliver told Miss Leila. "My mother's known her since she was... twelve years old. I met her about a month ago, before my mother died. She was staying... at the inn, but now she's with me." Miss Leila raised her eyebrows, but nodded slowly.

"Alright, but I hope to meet this Harmony someday. You're lucky I'm too busy tonight." Then Melody went over to the counter with a basket of food and a bottle of milk.

"Miss Leila, I'd like to take this food as my pay again tonight, if you don't mind." She said. Miss Leila's eyes widened a little.

"Again? Melody, are you and your parents getting enough food at home?" Melody nodded quickly, her already big brown eyes looking even bigger on her thin cheeks.

"Oh y-yes, M-Miss Leila. I j-just... my parents aren't home on these nights, I just grab groceries for my mother b-before I go home." she said quickly. Too quickly in Oliver's opinion. She took the basket, and Oliver followed her out, waving goodbye to Miss Leila. Myrtle had already gone home for supper.

Drippy's gaze followed Melody's figure against the sunset, as she met up with a boy with short hair, a green sweatshirt, faded jeans, and black boots. Then he looked at Abyssa and Oliver, who both looked like they wanted to follow Melody.

"I'll take Esther and Thief-face 'round by youer place, Ollie-boy!" He said, giving Oliver a small punch for encouragement. "You two can go follow them, yeah!" Swaine shook his head, crossing his arms and standing next to Abyssa.

"Wherever she goes, I go." he declared. Drippy and Oliver nodded, then they split ways. Abyssa and Swaine slipped ahead and listened in on the their conversation.

"Have you got the groceries, Mel?" The boy asked. She nodded, showing him the basket.

"Of course I got the groceries. It's Wednesday, Sam." She told him. He chuckled, then reached into her basket and stole an apple. She swatted his arm playfully. "Have you got Grant's medicine, you moron?" He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small bottle of milky white liquid.