Chapter 55

"So, where do we start looking for a mouse with glasses?" Esther asked as they left the Cawtermaster's. Oliver tapped his chin.

"Hm, well, Tommy Stout has been after mice for a while now. Maybe he knows where to find a mouse with glasses."

"Then where is this Tommy Stout?" Harmony asked, Oliver thought about where Tommy usually took post.

"Well, he sometimes takes post either up on top of the water well, or by Ding Dong Well."

"Let's check the well, seeing as it closer." Swaine suggested, and the five of them hurried around the water well and up the stairs to the top level.

"Eek! Leave me alone!" Came a small voice, and they all looked to see the mouse with glasses.

"There's that crooked little rat!" Harmony growled as they walked over.

"Oi, you little pipsqueak! You're the one who tried to make a quick guilder selling the holy wood, aren't you?" Swaine demanded, and the little mouse panicked.

"Squeeeak! How'd you find me? Er... I-I'll never do it again! Honest! Never, ever, or my name's not Pip!" But Oliver, rightfully named the Pure Hearted One, had a more compassionate hand than those of his two older friends.

"Pip? But why? What made you start stealing?" Pip looked at him like it was obvious.

"I needed the money, didn't I? Not that it's any of your blinking business! How am I going to make my dreams come true if I'm broke, eh?"

"Your dreams? That's no excuse for stealing!" Esther told him, stomping her foot. "What kind of dreams do you have, anyway?"

"Nice try, dumb-dumb!" Pip told her meanly. "You think I'm telling you? I know you'll just laugh at me for being a silly little mouse with big ideas!" Drippy jumped at that.

"Crikey! Bit blooming touchy, en't we? There's no need to be so flipping defensive, Mouseface!"

"Well, we did just corner him, to be fair." Swaine told Drippy matter of factly. "Anyway, let's collar the little runt and head back to the Cawtermaster's store, shall we?"

"...Wait a second, you guys." Oliver told them, crossing his arms. "Is it just me, or does Pip really remind you of somebody?" Esther tilted her head.

"Hm? You mean he might share a soul with someone back in Motorville?" Oliver nodded.

"I think so... But I'm just not sure who it could be." Then he turned back to Pip. "Um, Pip. Would you mind telling us a little more about your dream? We won't laugh at you, I promise."

"Why should I!?" Pip exclaimed, making Oliver jump. "You can't tell me what to do! Why should I take orders from a big baby who sleeps with a stupid doll?" Esther looked at him with wide eyes, and Harmony had to cover her mouth to keep from smiling.

"What?" Ester asked. "Is that true, Oliver?" Oliver shook his head vigorously.

"N-No! I don't sleep with a doll... Anymore." Pip began laughing.

"Ha ha! How grown-up of you! But I bet you still drag it around with you everywhere in case you get scared at night you big baby!" Oliver balled his hands into fists, getting annoyed now.