Prologue

The night sky was completely black, the moon and stars blocked by dark, black clouds.

The lights in the mental hospital had been turned off, one by one, all of the rooms now dark, as everyone drifted off to sleep.

That is, except for one.

Long after all of the other kids were fast asleep, one twelve year old boy was still sitting, awake, at his desk near one of the two windows of his dimly lit room.

His name was Percy Jackson. He had dark black hair and sea green eyes.

He was a silent boy. He hadn't talked in five years, not since he was seven. He writes down what he has to say, despite his dyslexia, for his friends didn't know sign language.

Actually, he didn't have any friends. Just other students in the class.

The boy had many other problems. He suffered from depression. He had anger issues so most people avoided him, which was just fine by Percy. He had dyslexia but after all this time had managed to read and write without it bothering him too much. At the moment, he was sitting a little still for his level of ADHD, but his lightly tapping fingers on his desk seemed to echo slightly throughout the room. When he is in public, he has among the brightest smiles you will ever see.

But the smile is not there to express how happy he was- because if it had been, it would be upside down. It's only there to distract you from the bags under his eyes and the dark, depressing clothes he always wears.

His anger issues never went away though. If he saw someone picking on someone, especially if they were a friend(not that he had any)--- let's just say that they would most likely be in the hospital for a few hours.

So people made sure he wasn't nearby before picking on kids, and everyone, even if they weren't bullies, avoided him as much as possible.

But Percy wasn't thinking about any of that as he he stared out the window at dark outside. He was remembering.

About his life before the mental hospital.

He shook himself out of his thoughts as a few tears managed to make their ways out of his eyes.

He glanced at his clock.

5:56 AM.

Percy sighed. He heard that a new kid was coming. Percy knew he should at least try and sleep. Then there's also the fact that he hadn't slept in at least two and a half months. He was used to it though. He usually didn't sleep for more than a few hours a month, sometimes less, like these last two months. Percy knew he needed to sleep, even if he also knew it would not be peaceful.

When does he ever have a peaceful sleep?

Percy turned off the lights dim lights before lying down in his almost unused bed.