Chapter 2

“Hey Luke, how was your weekend?” my noisy classmate, Bryan, came barreling down to my desk and looked at me with a smile on his goofy face. This guy is like a huge barricade that blocks my path. He’s too annoying but he’s friendly.

“It’s good,” I told him. I don’t feel like talking much today because I’m worried about Tessie in the hospital. I’ll go visit her at lunch break. I’ll bring her some of her favorite sweets.

“Where is Tessie? Isn’t she your best friend?” he noticed the empty seat beside me. Why is this guy always curious about things?

“I don’t know where she is. Just go back to your own seat Bryan,” I told him impassively. Why can’t he be quiet for a while and mind his own freaking business? Jeez!

Lunch break came and I hurriedly grabbed my bag. I have 1 hour to visit Tessie.

“Where are you going?” Bryan is here again. Good grief he should stay away from me!

“I’m going to my dad’s office. If you please excuse me,” I maintained my deadpan stare at him which obviously doesn’t affect him. He chuckled and stepped away from my path. Thank goodness!

“Hey Tessie,” I entered my best friend’s room. I found her reading a book, as usual. She looked up at me and smiled. She looks weak than usual. There are bags under her eyes and her lips are pale.

“Are you okay? You look tired,” I placed the bag of sweets on her table and kissed her on her temple. She smiled again and turned her gaze towards the bag of sweets beside her.

“What is in the bag?” she asked, her eyes shining with curiosity. I chuckled. She’s the same curious girl I met before.

“Sweets for my best friend,” I smiled as her face brightened. She quickly grabbed the bag and gasped when she saw loads and loads of sweets I purposely bought only for her.

The door opened and dad entered.

“Tessie, I’m just going to check on – oh, Luke, I didn’t know you were here. I thought you have class?” his face lighted up when he saw me smiling with Tessie.

“It is actually lunch break and I bought sweets for Tessie,” I told him. He just nodded and exited the pink room we are currently in.

“Thank you very much Luke,” she giggled and started eating. Well, she’s a glutton I forgot to add that part of her.

“Slow down, I’ll get you water,” I sighed and walked over to the table across her bed to pour her a glass of water.

“Where did you buy these stuffs?” she asked, mouthful of sweets. I rolled my eyes.

“I told you to slow down Tessie. I bought them at the shop beside the school. I saw you buying there before so I figured that you like the sweets there,” I explained and gave her the glass of water.

“I’ll leave after 15 minutes Tessie, I still have classes. Don’t worry you’ll get discharge the day after tomorrow. Just rest,” I plopped on the seat beside her bed and watched her eat. I could watch her eat like this! She’s so cute! Wait, what did I just say? I’m getting weirder and weirder every time I’m with her.

“Do you want one?” she offered me a marshmallow. I was about to get it but she immediately ate it. I frowned.

It’s good to hear her giggle again. “These are my sweets. Thou shall not get,” she winked at me and chewed. I snorted at her reaction.

“You little girl are such a baby!” I rolled my eyes and she smiled.

After chatting with her about her shenanigans in her hospital room, I bid goodbye because I still have class to attend. I even promised her I’m going to teach her the lesson later. Jeez!