Chapter 1: Meet the Wicked

Chapter One

“Cinder! Where’s the other pair of my socks?”

“Cinder! Have you seen my necktie?”

“Cinder, is the table not ready yet?”

Early in the morning, the house is always filled with the roaring of the lions, I mean humans. It feels like I’m experiencing déjà vu every single day. My mother is a pro at cooking, in short, she’s a professional cook. A famous restaurant in Heathrow, London offered her a work leaving me under the hands of his older brother and nephews here in Colchester, London. This made my life more miserable than I thought it would be.

- 1 month ago -

“You’ve gotta be kidding, right mom?” I said as I threw my body on the recliner.

“No son, I’m serious. I just signed a contract,” She said as she showed me the paper, “This is for your own good anyway.”

“For my own good?” I began to be irritated, “You know you’re brother doesn’t like me.”

“Who said that? I told him already about you living in their house and he said,” Mother went near to me and tapped my shoulder, “He’s okay with it. He’s willing to take care of you, while I’m away for work.”

I sighed.

“What’s with the sigh, Cinder?” Like every mother does, she knows I’m not fine at all. I just shook my head and gave her my best smile, avoiding not to make her worry.

“So,” I said, “how long does it takes for you to be away from me?”

“Just for 5 months son,” She answered as she walked towards the window, “and after that, I’m gonna fulfill my duty as a mother to you.”

A smile painted on my face. I came near to her and hugged her from the back.

“Thanks mom.”

- End of Flashback -

As soon as I have found the things they were asking from me, I immediately went to the dining area and saw Uncle Edison, his sons, Ray and Andrew, eating their breakfast.

“Here’s the other pair of your socks, Ray.” I said as I handed Ray, the oldest, his all time favorite black and white stripes sock. He just took it while munching toasted bread.

“And here’s your necktie, Drew.” I handed Andrew, the youngest, his black necktie. He took it and half-smiled at me.

Wait! Did he just half-smiled at me? I shook my head and walked towards the kitchen when…

“Cinder,” Uncle Ed called my name. I turned back and gave him my sarcastic grin.

“Yes, Uncle Ed?”

“Come and join us,” He offered.

What the? What’s wrong with the atmosphere now? First, his youngest son had just half-smiled at me and now, him, who I’ve known to be wicked, had just offered me to eat breakfast with them?

“Oh, that’s so kind of you, Uncle Ed,” I said, “but I just ate breakfast a while ago.”

He just nodded and sipped his coffee.

“I’m going to do the laundry, Uncle Ed, so just leave everything as soon as you’re done,” I said and headed towards the back of the house.

I started to wet the clothes when Uncle Ed called out my name.

“Cinder!”

I hurriedly went to the living room.

“Yes, Uncle Ed.”