Prologue - April 19, 1862.

The whole town of Mystic Falls has gathered for this event. It's a big deal, two founding families becoming one, and it isn't even an arranged marriage! Honestly, the bride and groom only wanted a small wedding with just family, but their families made sure that didn't happen. Even the working class people were allowed to come. The wedding dress had been designed by the best seamstress in town, and so had the grooms and bridesmaid dresses. Damon Salvatore, the groom, hated the feeling of his suit, so he's going to turn up in his normal formal suit and see if anybody notices. It's not as if they can tell him to change, there and then. The entire Mystic Falls population will be watching.

A knock on the door alerts the three people in one dressing room. The bride, Beatrice, Beatrice's mother, and Beatrice's niece. Beatrice's niece, Amanda, opens the door slightly.

"Oh. It's you. You're not allowed to see her until the actual wedding." The seven year old explains to the man, Damon.

"Who is it?" Beatrice asks, turning to look at Amanda.

"Damon. He wants to see you but I sent him away." Amanda shrugs.

"Would you stop moving, Beatrice? Your hair will be ridiculous if you keep moving." Beatrice's mother, Samantha, orders.

"Is it almost done?" Beatrice asks.

"Yes. Now you can move." Samantha nods her head, going into another room to get the headpiece to fix into her hair. The door knocks again, and Amanda answers it.

"Daddy!" Amanda exclaims, opening the door fully to let Johnathon Gilbert into the room.

"Hello, Amanda. Why don't you go wait outside with your brothers?" Johnathon suggests, and Amanda runs off happily.

"Johnathon, what brings you up here so early?" Beatrice asks, standing up and smoothing her dress down.

"An early wedding present, just for you." He pulls out a small box from his pocket.

"You're too kind, brother." Beatrice smiles, going over to Johnathon and hugging him.

"I've been told that once or twice. Open it, sister." Johnathon hands her the box, and she carefully opens it, revealing a silver necklace with a large diamond, surrounded by smaller diamonds.

"It's beautiful! Thank you, Johnathon!" Beatrice gasps and Johnathon takes it out, clasping it around her neck. Just then, Samantha walks in and smiles at the sibling bonding.

"Ok, sit down, Beatrice. I need to add the finishing touches." Beatrice sighs, smiling at her brother and sitting back in her original seat, letting her mother put the headpiece and veil on her.

"It's time." Johnathon declares and Beatrice stands up, linking arms with Johnathon. 

"Where's Rachel, Primrose and Honoria?" Beatrice asks for her bridesmaids.

"They're already waiting down in the gardens. Are you ready to become Mrs. Damon Salvatore?"

"Of course I am. Honestly, this marriage should be arranged, everybody's making decisions for me about my own wedding. Who decided on Carnations? I specifically asked for lilies."

"Giuseppe Salvatore thought lilies were a bit...dull." Johnathon explains as they finally get to the door. 

"Hmm." The music starts and Johnathon takes Beatrice down the aisle, meeting Damon at the end. Damon smiles, taking Beatrice's hand and leading her into the gazebo.

"You look beautiful." Damon whispers in Beatrice's ear as they walk up.

"So do you, even if it is in your gala suit." Beatrice whispers back.

"I wasn't comfortable in the other suit. A size too small, I suspect." Damon replies.

"You should try wearing corsets every day." They stop whispering when they get to the priest.

"We gather here today to unite these two people in marriage. Their decision to marry has not been entered into lightly and today they publicly--" Both Damon and Beatrice zone out what the priest says, looking at each other happily until the vows, which they repeat after the priest, and then the priest finally says, "You may now kiss the bride," which Damon does instantly.

**

Beatrice is talking to George Lockwood when Stefan Salvatore walks up to her.

"Hello, sister-in-law." Stefan smiles.

"Well, hello to you too, brother-in-law." Beatrice laughs.

"How has the best day of your life been?" Stefan asks.

"Perfect, except for those carnations. Who even likes carnations?"

"My father enjoys them immensely." Stefan explains, before pulling out a box. "I've been old to give these to Damon, but he'll lose them instantly, so, enjoy." Beatrice opens the box, revealing a set of keys.

"Oh my gosh, the house is finally ready, no more living across from Johnathon's bedroom?" Beatrice asks to herself, and smiles at Stefan, hugging him. 

"What's troubling you, Damon?" Beatrice asks that night, taking off her shoes as they enter their new home

"My father has signed me up for the confederate army, defending the south." Damon sighs.

"The south? I thought you hated everything to do with the South?" Beatrice questions.

"I do. But if I refuse to join, I fear father will disapprove and disown me." Damon explains.

"Damon, I love you and I believe that you should follow what you believe in, not what your father believes in."

"I love you too, Beatrice." He stands up, going over to her and kissing her.