Chapter 9

Ki grabbed Kamaria's hand and pulled her through the gardens toward the palace gates.

A cool breeze blew around them but Ki's warmth shielded them like a cloak.

"Where are we going?"

"Where Seth can't interrupt us." Ki winked at her and pulled the gates closed behind him. A sense of freedom washed over them as they quickly left the palace in the distance.

They both knew Sethos would be upset about them sneaking off together, but right now they didn't care about him. He didn't exist in their world. It was just Ki and Kamaria.

Their hands intertwined as he pulled her closer to his side. His smelled like gardens after a rain, and it was quickly becoming an  addiction to Kamaria now.

They loved that they could walk in silence and still be so happy with each others company. Kamaria's cheeks flushed pink when Ki smiled at her. The sight made his heart beat against his chest like a caged animal begging to be freed. 

They reached a large field of wild yellow flowers and Kamaria breath caught in her throat. The field seemed endless - becoming nothing more than a yellow blanket that ran all the way to the hill. Ki removed his cloak and spread it on the ground.

"My Goddess" she couldn't help the smile crossing her face at his words. She leaned over and kissed his cheek, causing him to to blush lightly, before she sat on make shift picnic blanket. 

"So my Goddess, tell me something about you that I don't already know"  Ki picked a wild flower and handed it to her  "what is your favorite color?"

"I guess blue" Ki raised his eyebrows, surprised by her use of the word guess.

"You guess blue? You don't know?" Amusement crossed his face as Kamaria's cheeks flushed again.She stared at the flower in her hands, hoping Ki didn't notice the blush - but his heart was skipping at the sight.

She took a deep breath, she already decided she was going to be honest, no matter how embarrassing  "I've always loved what colors the sky changes to when our skies collide." Her cheeks couldn't get anymore red as she avoided his gaze.

Ki was surprised by her answer. He was ashamed to admit, he had never really paid attention to the changing colors in the sky. He focused more about pushing darkness away then he did with what colors were created by it.

He couldn't keep his eyes off her. The way the light bounced off her hair was like magic. Her smile could put him in a daze. All in all - she has hypnotized him. When she realized he was still staring at her, she blushed with a small smile. His breath caught and he felt like his heart would explode.

Was it possible that she felt just as strongly for him as he does for her?

Surely, she must know how I feel about her  His thoughts a jumble of everything he has ever said to her, his gift of the stars - she must know. Ki hadn't really tried to hide it, he held her hand and pulled her close to him. Called her beautiful on more than one occasion because she was the most beautiful Goddess in all of Olympus. He was certain Kamaria had to have known his feelings. And yet, something in the back of his mind made him doubt. Maybe she didn't and that's why she was still going to marry Sethos.

Maybe if she knew  - Maybe she would chose me .

Kamaria noticed something spark in Ki's eyes. Some sort of debate he had been fighting, had been resolved. Before she could ask him about it, Ki crawled past her, spreading his legs around her. He then pulled her back against his chest, and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

He was certain, she could feel his heartbeat this time. The feel of his embrace like fireworks in her stomach.

Kamaria couldn't help it, she leaned her head against his shoulder, feeling his chest move with every breath he took. After a moment she could feel their hearts start to beat in sync.

Ki hesitated for a moment before throwing caution to the wind. He leaned down slowly, pressing kisses on her shoulder, slowly moving up her neck. Kamaria closed her eyes, a small giggle escaped her lips, pushing Ki over the edge.

"I love you" Ki couldn't stop the words from falling out if his mouth. Both of their hearts stopped for a moment. His in anticipation; Hers in shock.

She turned to look him in the face, unsure of what she had heard. "Wh-"

Ki knew it was too late to take it back and even if he could, he wouldn't. "I told you that you have my heart. I love you and I have to say it,  you have to know without any uncertainty" Ki tried to hold her gaze, but she had to look away.

Kamaria was blinking away tears, but Ki felt rejected. He dropped his arms from around her and hung his head in sadness.

Kamaria placed her hand against his cheek and waited until his honey eyes meet hers. "I love you" her voice low and thick with emotion.

All of Olympus seemed brighter as his face lit up. His hand found her cheek, his thumb traced her lips lightly.

For the second time, Ki gave into temptation. His lips melted into hers and she grabbed at his shirt pulling him closer to her in response.

When they break, she leaned her head against his chest. His heart beat was her new favorite song. Ki held her tight, stroking her hair softly, before he pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"Will you marry me?" His voice is low as he whispered into her ear, leaving a chill on her spine.

Kamaria was silent and still against Ki's chest, unsure she had heard him correctly. Did he just propose?

A small laugh escaped Ki's lips out of nervousness. Of all the proposals he had heard of, there was always an immediate answer. Yet there they are, intertwined in each others arms with no words, no response.

Kamaria wanted to freeze this moment. To spend forever on this hill intertwined with Ki, listening the beat of his heart.She took a deep breath - breathing in his smell mixed with the flowers that surrounded them. What did the Fates have in store for her? Was she supposed to chose Sethos or Ki?

Why is the right choice always the hardest to make? 

Tears pooled in her eyes and she gripped Ki's shirt tighter. She committed to her memory the feel of his chest under her hands and the sound of his heart against her ear before pulling away slowly.