Chapter 7 - The Final Blow

It was true, Trunks had become an Ascended Saiyan - a form between Super Saiyan and the mighty Super Saiyan 2, one that gains the strength of a Super Saiyan 2 but with added bulk and at the cost of speed. Goten was amazed at his friend, and watched in disbelief as the golden aura surrounding him generated enough power on its own to raise the small stones from the ring below and throw them into the air around him.

"See, Goten? You can't win."

Goten frowned at Trunks, and shook his head.

"You have no idea what I can do!"

"Then let's get on with it?"

Without another word, Trunks and Goten both dashed forwards toward each other. Goten was fast enough to dodge Trunks' blows, but one slight misjudgement sent him flying once again from a blow that was enough to wind him and send the world spinning around him.

He managed to stop just before hitting the outside wall of the ring. Grunting in a mixture of frustration and pain, Goten looked back at the grinning Super Trunks, his thoughts racing.

He may have grown way stronger in this form, Goten thought to himself, but I'm way faster. If I can exploit that weakness then I might still be able to win.

"Give it up, Goten. You've lost. I'm way too strong now!"

"No way. I never give up!" Goten yelled, dashing towards his opponent.

Trunks raised his fists to counterattack, but Goten quickly changed his direction, instead heading downwards from the hovering Trunks, towards the ring. Slamming down hard, he heard the whoosh of air above him as Trunks struck where he would have been had he not changed direction. Immediately, Goten pushed up with all his strength. He then crashed head first into Trunks' chest as he adjusted in the air, trying to aim his attacks downwards, but he was too slow.

As Trunks lost his breath, Goten continued his assault, aiming a barrage of lighting-fast punches at Trunks' torso. The victory was short-lived however, as Trunks quickly braced himself for the hits, and as they continued to fly up into the air, a fist pushed downwards, hooking into Goten's right side.

The impact was astonishing, and Goten heard a distinct cracking noise as he went flying. Trunks then reappeared quicker than Goten expected, and a solid hit to his face made him see stars, and it seemed like not a second had passed until he slammed into the stage, shattering part of it.

All he could see was black as he slipped from consciousness, and the vague roar of the crowd dulled even more to the sound of the ring announcer beginning the countdown to Goten's defeat.

"Three... Four... Five..."

I can't go out like this.

"Six... Seven... Eight..."

I refuse to give in.

"Nine.. T-"

A single fist in the air as he lay on his back stopped the count. Sitting up, Goten gritted his teeth at the stabbing pain in his side, and as he got to his knees he noticed there was blood dripping from his face and mouth, though he couldn't pinpoint where from.

"Why keep trying? I don't wanna hurt you too bad.." Trunks smirked.

"I.. Won't.." Goten began to stand slowly, clamping a hand to his injured side, "give in!"

Goten then powered up to a Super Saiyan, his power exploding in a show of determination. But rather than let his power level peak, it continued rising, to Trunks' confusion.

"Heh.. I didn't wanna have to use this so early in the tournament.. But I'm not going to lose to you again, Trunks. I've worked too hard."

"What are.."