Chapter 8: Berserk

~M E L A N I E ' S P O V~

I walked into my house and sighed. I was glad to have someone by my side again. I had JJ and now Ashton in my life. I just wish my mom would be home more often. I miss the relationship we had when my Dad was here. We weren't as close as my dad and I, but we were closer than most kids with their parents.

I remember how we would take long walks on the beach, just all 3 of us. And the picnics that they would hold and invite all my friends and their parents. We were just one big happy family. Now, we're all separated. I only get one facetime with my dad a month IF he's still alive and my mom leaves every other week ever since my dad left. I'm always alone, so I have no choice, but to learn to love it.

I grabbed a snack. Flour tortillas with garlic roasted humus. YUM!

Weird snack. I know. But it's delicious.

As I'm eating my snack, I hear a knock at my door. I groan as I go to answer it.

"Hey Mels." JJ greets.

"What do you want?" I ask bluntly.

"Did I interrupt snack time?" He asks raising his eyebrows.

"JJ, you know me too well. Now get inside so I can eat." I said shoving him through the door. I walked to the kitchen with JJ right behind me.

"Where's your mom? I really miss her." JJ asks. I frowned.

"Me too." I muttered. I looked up to see JJ waiting for me to explain. Guess he heard that.

"She's on another business trip." I said sarcastically happy. JJ sighs. He knows that she's been leaving a lot. The only reason that she's given is that she's trying to distract herself from my dad. I guess that makes sense, but you don't see me leaving to go to a friend's house all day and weekends. She needs to cope with it. I guess it's the only way she can.

"Are you ok?" JJ asks snapping me out of my thoughts. I nod and take another bite out of my humus covered tortilla.

"Have you heard from Jackson since you moved?" I froze mid bite.

"I take that as a yes?" JJ says and clenches his jaw. Oh no. He's mad... Oh Lord help me please!

Run. Save yourself child.

"When?" He asked trying to keep his cool.

"Friday..." I muttered. He closed his eyes. He's counting to calm himself down. Shit...

"What did he do?" He asked. Oh no. He's gonna be so pissed. I forgot to tell him. Maybe I should call Ashton so he can't scream at me. No... That'd be a bad idea... Never mind.

"Melanie..." He said in a warning tone.

He used your full name. Oh dear God.

"H-he tried t-to r-ra..." I couldn't say the word. It was poison. Plus it might stall a few seconds.

"Melanie.." He said starting to breath heavily. Uh oh...

"Melanie... are you trying to say rape?" He asked in a low, violent voice.

"Yes..." I said with my mouth full of food, so it was muffled. JJ slammed his hand on the counter.

"Did he get to?" He asked turning away from me.

"No. Ashton came just in time and punched the shit out of him." I said, a small smile growing remembering how we kissed afterwards. JJ chuckled.

Honestly, I'm curious why we kissed after I almost got raped. You'd think I wouldn't want anyone to touch me. I guess not. Maybe I got caught up in the moment and forgot that I almost got raped. Then again, that's a hard thing to forget. Who knows?